Red Lodge to Yellowstone via Beartooth Drive Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This coming Friday, we are planning to drive from Red Lodge over the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways through Cody (no stop in Cody) to the East Entrance of Yellowstone. How many hours do you think this would take? We would stop at some scenic view points along the road, but not do any hiking.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Hmm. With stops, which I think you will make more often than you might think, you will need about 5 hours, particularly if you stop to look on top of the pass and again at the fire tower turned visitor center on the descending side. The views from the tower are excellent.

It is about 135 miles from Red Lodge to the East Gate via the Beartooth, Dead Indian Pass and Cody. From the East Gate to Old Faithful is about 65 miles.

If you don't stop for the views, then you might make it in 3-4 hours. But there is a lot to see.

So you can plan your day accordingly.

It it is hard for me to judge because I took 5 to 6 hours to drive it because I stopped to look at every good opportunity.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob,
Did you include the Chief Joseph portion in your 5-6 hour estimate? One of my concerns is that YNP expects to close the East Gate at 8:00PM so I cannot dawdle and gape at the views too long. Our first night will be at Signal Mt Lodge so we still have a way to go once we get to East Gate. Do you have an estimate of the travel time from East Gate to Signal Mt, too?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I called Signal Mtn and asked about the travel time to the East Gate because we will be leaving that way when we're out there next month and have to get out before the gate is closed for the day. I was told it would take 2-2 1/2 hours allowing for construction in Grand Teton Park on the route.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

We returned from our wonderful trip. Bob, your estimated of 5-6 hours was right on target. We had a leisurely drive, a lovely picnic lunch, and truly enjoyed the terrific introdution to the Yellowstone area.

Thanks you for your all for your help.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Ruth, I suggest you look at my post about South Gate construction delays so you can plan accordingly. Be sure to leave yourself adequate time to get to East Gate before it closes as you will experience two construction delays at both South and East Gates.