Search

Recs needed for restaurants in NYC with smallish private rooms

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recs needed for restaurants in NYC with smallish private rooms

Hi!
I have a big birthday coming up in April 2010 and am looking for a restaurant with a private room for 10-12 guests. As for price it can be expensive as it is a special occasion. I want a nice ambience where my guests and I can hear each other and preferably in a private room. Nothing exotic in terms of food, preferably steaks or American is what I'm looking for. My father suggested Ben and Jack's steakhouse near Grand Central and their private room #4 is what I had in mind. BUT....it's kind of old school so I'm open to other suggestions.

So....private room in a nice, fancy-ish but not snobby restaurant, NYC (location in the city is flexible but Midtown or below), good food and GREAT wine list needed! Thank you.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM

Keen's Steakhouse is also "old school" but the rooms are very nice and historic.

Trattoria Dell 'Arte has several private rooms including a wine cellar. Speaking of wine cellar, 21 Club and Il Buco. And then there's the upstairs room at La Grenouille.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

A wine cellar would be AWESOME. My dad is really into wines, hence why he wants to go to Ben and Jack's. My friend mentioned 21 Club last night, actually. Thank you for these suggestions-keep em coming!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM

Tocqueville has an upstairs room with excellent food and extraordianry service.
Daniel has a sepearate dining room.

Both are expensive.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 05:08 AM

Gramercy Tavern has a private dining room. Of course, it's expensive, but I can't imagine it's that much more than Ben and Jack's, and the food is very nice American. Plus, there's an excellent wine list. It's Old School without being Old School.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 05:10 AM

Too bad they do they like exotic. I have organized business dinners at Jing Fong in a private room where you can order a specialized multi-course banquet.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

We've been to Gramercy Tavern before, which was lovely, but may want to try something new. I'll check out Tocqueville. Thanks so much.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM

Check out City Hall (the restaurant downtown)http://www.cityhallnewyork.com/index2.htm. Also, if you go to zagat.com, you can search by "private dining" - there are *many* options in NYC.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM

Just had another thought. The Modern (at MOMA) does private dining AMAZINGLY well. Service, atmosphere, food are all excellent.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM

I just had dinner for the first time at The Modern and cannot recommend it highly enough. Certainly ranks up there with the best meal I've ever had in NYC, and I have lived here for a long time! Four of us were so impressed that we plan to return for the next big family celebration.

If it fits your budget I don't think you need to look further. Not at all pretentious; on the contrary, service is very low key and friendly. Wine list is fantastic; I believe the wine director has won many awards, as has the chef, who just won a James Beard award.

I've been to a private event there and they do them very well, as one would expect here. In a totally different class than Ben and Jack's!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I emailed their private dining person earlier today and am awaiting a response (The Modern). I feel it in my gut that this is THE place for my birthday dinner, despite not having been before. All reviews online were terrific and I hear the food is fabulous.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 04:37 PM

It's a fantastic choice. And of course it IS the Modern. Now if it were at the Museum of Natural History, I'd balk at my birthday bash being there!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

I think the private room is kind of too big for what I want, but maybe there's a table in a quieter area of the room for 10-12 of us. it's also down the street from where I live so very convenient too. Keep suggestions coming!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM

heard nothing but fave reviews on the Modern.
please let us know how it was..didn't the chef win a James Beard award?
a table for your party sounds like the way to go..love the bauhaus design.
have a wonderful birthday..i'm so jealous!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. It's on April 3, which is nicely a Saturday night! So half will be my family and half some friends, 10-12 people total for some good food, great wines, and to celebrate ME! Def will keep you posted.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM

You're going to absolutely LOVE it! Glad you took the recommendation...
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM
mp

We had our night before the wedding dinner in the wine room at Trattoria dell'Arte - it's a nice space, a little snug - I think we had 15 people, and 12 would have been better. The food is good, the service was very kind - not as 'glitzy' as The Modern, certainly. It's an easy choice that will please, but not wow everyone.

The Modern is a big deal restaurant - very good food, but I've always found it to be well, expensive. The dining room is very nice, but I prefer the Bar Room, just in terms of atmosphere. But eks is right - great wine list, but pricy. Very NY, energetic, buzzy atmosphere. But pricy.

If you would like to be downtown, Blue Ribbon Bakery has a lovely, warm private room - or maybe The Harrison in Tribeca. Toqueville is a step up from those two - on par w/ The Modern, and Gramercy. You might also check out Aldea, a new two star (from the NY Times) place that has a private dining room - but it's downtown, too.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU!!! Still haven't heard back from The Modern, so I will call after Thanksgiving and check ut the other places. Never heard of Aldea. I'm totally open to going downtown. I just live in Midtown and it's easier for my family, but they can haul it downtown if necessary.

As for price, this is a gift from my family so it's up to them, but my dad wants "good" wines. As in, top notch. I'm glad to drink whatever he wants to provide!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM

skiergirl, I saw your other post, and realized this is your "big birthday" weekend - so where are you having your party? (and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)