Restaurant advice-Urgent!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iwas given the job of finding a restaurant for a group of about 12 diners for Dec. 9th. These are sophistacated "Foodies" and I am under pressure. We have previously dined at Jean-Georges (just 8 people) and last year at the private dining room at Alaine Ducasse. Of course, this group is not concerned with cost. I need a restaurant that has a private dining room. Of course, Per Se is out of the question - booked. After the afore-mentioned restaurants where should I go? I know that these restaurants have private rooms, Gramercy Tavern, Le Bernadin, WD-50, Cafe Gray and Scalini Fedeli. Do you know of any others and what would you recommend?
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I'm going to toss out a wildcard idea, Il Buco. Certainly, it isn't on par with the places you've mentioned.

But, what it does have is one of the most unique rooms in NYC - their private wine cellar. If you go to their website, you'll see a couple of great photos.

What I might suggest is booking the room for the night and seeing if they'll create a special tasting menu. Most of their dishes work well as shared plates.

If you want more "name brand" you might try Cafe Grey. Not sure about the private room. Picholine on the UWS has a private room and the food is usually superb.

If you want an old favorite, La Grenouille. But, let's face it, unless you're getting into Le Bernardin/Bouley type places, you aren't going to top Ducasse.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:27 AM

I would call the James Beard House on West 12th Street and see if the Board Room is available. Dinner will run about $150 per person since you are not members, plus a flat fee of $200 for the board room. I have no idea who the chef is because the December book is not out yet, however, we have never had a bad meal there.
The James Beard townhouse is located on West 12th between 6th and 7th. It has a main level with 2 dining areas and an open kitchen. 2nd level has one big dining room. 3rd level has the board room (must be able to do stairs, there is no elevator). The evening begins at 7 pm with a featured wine and pass arounds. Then everyone is seated for dinner (set menu of approx. 5 courses with wine pairings). Chef comes around after dinner for applause and to answer questions. Service is perfect and what a special evening. I am there twice a month and never get tired of it. Go to www.jamesbeard.org
Click on Events, at the Beard House and you will see November's schedule. Click on any date and you can bring up the menu. This will give you an idea of what they have every night. You pay in advance on a credit card and don't need one more dime at the restaurant. All the food, wine, tax, tip, coat check is included. Park down the block in the lot and get validated for a discount. Have fun!
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Forgot--when you call about the board room, they will know who the visiting chef and restaurant is, but not the menu.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:48 AM

If you haven't been to the 21 Club, go go go go go!!!! They have seating for normal people and they also have a super special thing where people can eat almost in the kitchen.

http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/onyc_a2a_home.jsp

I am pregnant and craving their dessert. Wish we lived closer. Eat some for me if you go!!!
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:15 AM

As usual, excellent suggestion from Bugswife. May I also suggest that you contact Daniel as I recently attended a private business dinner there for 16 and it was terrific.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:17 AM

One other thing -- I've also attended small private business dinners at The Four Seasons (restaurant, not hotel). The private room off the Pool Room, I believe, is where we were.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

bugswife - loved your suggestion for the James Beard House. I called but nothing is scheduled for Dec. 9th. I am disappointed, but will try again in the future. So, I'm still looking. That would have been perfect for this group. Thanks.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Another vote for IL BUCO on cobblestone Bond Street. I enjoyed a spectacular "special occasion" meal there recently and would return in a heartbeat.

www.ilbuco.com

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

I really need help, now. Does anyone have an opinion on the following restaurants? Which one do you think is best.
WD-50 (I have a tentative reservation)
Picholine
Cafe Gray
Blue Hill
Cru
Scalini Fedeli
Annisa
21 Club
Or any that I don't know about for party of 10 or 12.

Not available are:
Eleven Madison
Il Buco
Bouley
Gramercy Tavern
Daniel
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:02 PM

We were hot to try WD 50 as our waiter at Red Cat had recommended it while we were in NYC in early October. No time but with plans to return, I checked on Chowhound..which reports VERY mixed reviews. I suggest you check it out.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Another idea is L'Ecole.

http://www.frenchculinary.com/subpag...ost_event.html

March also has great food in townhouse setting. I think any on your list would be an experience.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Of those you mentioned, I'd probably go with Picholine and their wine tasting menu.

That said, if you are talking about a group of serious foodies, stick with WD-50. I would venture to say you will find things on their menu that you will NEVER see anywhere else. The Chef is essentially experimenting with food to make unexpected combinations.

The downside is that sometimes it's hit or miss. I went recently with a group of 5 and 3 people raved about their meal, 1 was mixed and 1 was negative. I was the negative vote but I went for the most esoteric things on the menu.

If you are going with serious food lovers and they are the types that are willing to try something different, there is enough buzz about WD-50 to not make you look bad.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:24 AM

I vote for Country at the Carlton Hotel on Madison and 29th. Gorgeous, and the food is amazing. Every dish is creative and flavorful. I have eaten there twice and am planning to go back in a few weeks. I eat out 7 (yes 7) nights a week and have been to just about every restaurant in NYC. I get so bored with the food. Country was really a breath of fresh air. Go to www.menupages.com to peruse the menu.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:57 AM

my thought is a bit off the program but could you find a spectacular location for your gathering and have the affair catered?
maybe a penthouse or in a musuem...
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

I like the idea of a outside location, i.e. penthouse, museum, wine cellar. Any advice about how I would go about that or ideas of locations?
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:59 AM

I'm curious, are you planning this for friends or as a business function?

In either case, I think you should consider the "thankless task" element. Meaning, that as the person doing the planning, you'll be expected to provide something on par with Jean-Georges or Ducasse. Anything short of those experiences places you at risk of "not living up to expectations."

If you're planning this as a business function, my suggestion is go with the CYA option - WD-50. There is enough buzz and interest among foodies that your choice won't leave you exposed if it doesn't live up to past spots.

There are times in a career to take risks. My experience after 18 years on Wall Street is that "thankless tasks" aren't on that list of times to take risk. It's all downside if it goes wrong and limited upside even if it goes well - especially when being compared to Ducasse and JG.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

I am planning this dinner for fiends that are business related. We would consider ourselves friends first. I appreciated you realizing my predicament. Our reservation at WD-50 is in the private "working" wine cellar. I do have some control over the menu choices and have asked if chef could create a tasting menu for just us. I think this could really work out, although some of the reviews have scared me. I need more positive reviews. Any out there?
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Go to the NYTimes website. They did a story on WD-50 several months back that discussed how unique it is.

I ran a beach house with friends for several years. I can empathize with being assigned a thankless task.

Several people at my firm have taken clients to WD-50 because it is one of those places people have heard about and people do want to judge for themselves.

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM

what, no recommendation for per se?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -