Record heat in Nevada/Utah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning to visit the Utah Mighty Five but (thanks to Southwests generous change policies) can change to the Tetons/Yellowstone. I'm concerned about the heat index which still seems to be near 110 in Las Vegas and low 100's in most of the Mighty five. Was wondering if any of you travelers have been out there recently and what your thoughts are. Im concerned I won't get the value of the Mighty five and should save it for spring or fall.

Thanks for your input/suggestions.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 03:10 PM

Are you locked in to certain dates for this trip? You may have some trouble finding lodging in Yellowstone and the Tetons on short notice.

I live in Utah and only visit the southern pArks in spring, fall or even winter if weather is good.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 03:50 PM

Just Google temperature for the Utah town nearest to the park you desire to visit

For example: Zion/Springdale, Utah
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w....php3?s=723713

Vaga
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 05:35 AM

I really doubt it will be in the 100s in Bryce; in fact, even Zion will likely be significantly cooler than Las Vegas. It's usually hot during the day, much cooler at night in the parks ... not so much difference for Las Vegas.

I agree that early fall would be a nicer time temperature-wise to visit the parks, but I don't know what you expected when you initially made your reservations. These are typical temperatures for July/August.

Changing to Yellowstone/Grand Teton would be great for this time of the year, but you may have difficulties finding lodging near the parks in peak season.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 06:26 PM

Check lodging first at towns around yellowstone--West Yellowstone, Gardner. Try Jackson, Wyo for lodging for the Tetons. You couldn't pay me to go to southern Utah right now. It is 100 degrees here in SLC. ugh.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 06:33 PM

Sorry Doug, you are wrong. It isn't significantly cooler in the parks at night. It is somewhat cooler, but with the exception of Bryce - it's still HOT!