Recommended restaurants in downtown Pittsburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 5 will be in Pittsburgh on Christmas Day. Any recommendations on where to eat Christmas dinner? Reommendations wanted also for dinner on the hillside of Pittsburgh overlooking the city - not too pricey, though.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:58 AM

The first place that comes to my mind is the Grand Concourse http://www.stationsquare.com/grandconcourse/ - I imagine it would be beautifully decorated for the holidays and in my experience their food is excellent. It might be more on the expensive side, but the food and the ambiance make it well worth it - a great restaurant inside a grand, beautifully restored train station. For Mt. Washington (hillside overlooking the city), you could try Grandview Saloon or Tin Angel or Le Mont (the latter two on the pricier side). Downtown, I'm not so sure...there are a few nice seafood places (Steelhead grill), but other than that, you might try a restaurant at one the hotels, e.g. the Omni William Penn has a wonderful breakfast, but I'm not sure if they will be serving Christmas dinner.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 10:02 AM

FYI : Regarding traffic on the 26th near Heinz Stadium, the Baltimore Ravens will be in town to get flocked by the Steelers.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I just got back from Pittsburgh (business), and here are my restaurant reviews:

-- Opus at the Renaissance Hotel: I give them an "E" for great effort, but every course just missed its target. Service was slow but competent, and it was a lovely, calm, mostly empty room, but for the considerable bucks I was disappointed. The wine list markup was criminal. The corn bisque was strained so that all you got was corn broth, with a bare hint of chipotle to add interest. The stuffed chicken over couscous was overpowered by pungent goat cheese. And the berry tart was ruined by an overbaked, tough crust. Good coffee, however.

-- Lunch at Tonic Bar & Grill. Again, they're trying hard in the kitchen. Here, they actually did it right. They keep it simple and it's good. I had grilled tilapia, and it was really nicely-done.

-- Grand Concourse. Ahh, now this was indeed grand. Great meal on a rainy night, after the Wine Flight at the lobby bar at the Renaissance. Asparagus soup, followed by tilapia (again!) wrapped in soba noodles and grilled (great!) and a tasty pumpkin cheesecake.

-- Grille on Seventh, or the Seventh Street Grille. Best meal of the trip. Good stiff drinks, yummy stuffed artichoke appetizer, a perfectly-prepared yellowfin tuna steak, and a bananas foster cake for dessert. And not too expensive, actually!

I think the Grand Concourse is the best bet of all of them; it will be the "special" joint, and the food is very, very good there.

Le Mont on Mt. Washington was a great place when I last went there-- about 23 years ago. I would hope it's still good.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Just to illustrate the ridiculous wine markup at the Renaissance: $28 a glass for Stags Leap 2000 Cabernet? A lovely drinking wine, absolutely (a big, vivid California red)-- but a BOTTLE costs $37.99 (I know cuz I buy it just about weekly). Give me a break...!
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:40 AM

A relatively inexpensive restaurant on Mt. Washington (view of city) is the Georgetown Inn. For great seafood I would try Monterey Bay. If you are downtown, try Casablanca Bistro or Eleven (by Big Burrito guys)
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:58 PM

I'm back in Pittsburgh on business (c'mon, would I be here for PLEASURE?!), and a quick coupla observations:

-- In winter, NOTHING is open in downtown Pittsburgh after 6 PM. I've seen more active comas. Pathetic, if you ask me.

-- In Station Square, Houlihan's is just about the only place with any life to it. And there isn't much life there. The food is perfectly adequate, and there's a full bar. But if you're looking for fun there and it isn't the weekend, just go back to where you are sleeping-- and go to sleep.

-- If you're in the vicinity of the Westin, the Fish Market is a very, very good restaurant for seafood. I went there tonight (a Tuesday), and I found a fairly busy restaurant, DESPITE THE FACT THAT PITTSBURGH WAS FRIGHTENINGLY DEAD (I mean, the homeless people hitting me up for change were the ONLY people on the street), and managed to have a great dinner (Korean BBQ tapalia, quite nicely-done). I also found good Cambodian cuisine at a place on Sixth Street called Lemongrass (wonderful lunch specials). Still, downtown Pittsburgh qualifies as major-league awful compared to any other downtown area in the US. Much work is required....
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:03 PM

I mean "tIpalia", of course. And by the way, the salmon that was offered was farm-raised. For the prices they wanted to charge, I would expect line-caught. And the wine markup was ridiculous. Frei Brother Merlot for $120 a bottle, when I get it at Ralphs in California for $15 a bottle. That's obscene...! And Stags Leap Cabernet ($38 a bottle in CA) running at $140 a bottle...! Extortionate. Must have to do with the state-run liquor stores....
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM

OK, I'm bored.... However, if you're stuck in Pittsburgh, I can recommend the Renaissance Hotel (107 Sixth Street) as an outstanding place to lay your head to rest. Comfy place, nice bar (although the restaurant was hit-or-miss-- however, I'm gonna give it another chance, cuz I'm a nice guy). Better than a kick in the head... well, marginally. Final judgment pending.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:44 AM

rjw, I just have to jump in, you sound so desparate for something to do! If you haven't yet tried leaving the immediate downtown business district in the evenings, and/or don't know where to go, please consider taking a quick cab ride (5 min?) to the strip district (penn/liberty ave) or the south side (east carson st.) - both have ample restaurants and nightlife and usually are relatively busy any night of the week, but of course most on weekends.

I went to college in Pittsburgh, and it was commonly known the downtown was dead after 5, but that wasn't where we went for nightlife so we didn't care - - and with as many colleges as there are in Pittsburgh, I guarantee you can find nightlife not far from downtown, particularly in those areas mentioned above, pretty much any night of the week.

Just trying to help you find something to do on those quiet pittsburgh nights when you're stuck in your hotel!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Yes, rjw, you are right, downtown is dead at night, but who in the heck is giving you advice that would make you stay in downtown? As Happy posted, get yourself to the Southside. Houlihan's, please, it's basically a TGI Friday's--not my idea of a fun time.

We also stayed at the Renaissance during Christmas week, just to use up some Marriott gift certificates--nice hotel...BUT I can't agree more that downtown needs cleaning up BADLY!! We were saddened by the current decay, it's dirty, seedy looking people on the street using two cell phones at a time....hmmm, Market Square, it's looking like a bum convention. And hey, I live nearby...so I agree with you on the points about downtown proper. Could be something to do also with the cutback in police and other city services. So get a little ways away and you might find a little better.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I know I could head to the Southside or the Strip District-- I also went to college here. I frankly don't like those areas that much. But *sigh* the Bridge bar, downstairs here at the Renaissance, is an OK place for a drink or two, despite the fact that people STILL smoke in the bars and they still smoke CIGARS here (that's so four years ago). My sweater from last night still stinks of cheap stogie smoke....
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Well, if you're going to be in town over the weekend, you'll get all the crowds you can handle for the Steelers game at Heinz Field, just pick your spot, probably esp. on the north shore....hey, how's the water looking over there around the stadium, eh, pretty flooded as I've seen on the news, but then I am presuming you have a room with a view??? GO STEELERS!!!!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM

P.S. - I NEVER did get the cigar thing, four years ago, today, tomorrow, ever. I guess as a non-smoker it doesn't matter where the smoke is coming from, it just repulses me, period.

Also, I don't know how "old" (or young) you are, but a few weeks ago when we were in town, all the "younger" crowd seemed to be going over to the Matrix club next to Hooters (across from station square). SS was dead, but that place was packed!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM

hugglynn: No, I'm leaving tomorrow. Don't plan to check out the "scene" here this trip, obviously. And that Matrix place was a mausoleum when I was over at Station Square. Then again, so was Hooters. Surprising, because when I think Pittsburgh, I always think "Buffalo wings and tits"! Doesn't everyone...?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Oops. Apropos of the restaurant scene in downtown Pixburgh, I just had dinner at Ristorante Franco on Penn Avenue. They started weak, with somewhat stale, dull bread, an indifferent wine list and mediocre pasta e fagioli soup (like they just opened a can of Progresso and nuked it). The main pasta dish (spaghetti Pietro) was actually really good, however; that was seemingly the exception, as the cannoli for dessert was full of clashing flavors without anything making it particularly good. And this passes for "Fine Dining" in the Cultural District (across from Heinz Hall!). However, the wait staff were all as charming as they could be, and their super-thick Pittsburgh accents were a hoot. Maybe it was an off-night. I'd pass on Franco and go up Penn to either the Fish Market or The Grille on Seventh Street.

Anyone else want to take a crack at Pittsburgh downtown eateries? My stomach won't take any more this trip....
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 05:11 PM

rj, everyone must think buffalo wings and tits as you said because we are now graced with Hooters Airlines flying to Myrtle Beach....hmm wonder what market they're trying to reach...

Ok, I am going to speak to a trendy young broker associate I know from Pittsburgh....for restaurants and nightlife for you on your next trip. I think she frequents Shadyside for trendy bars, etc., but I'll get back to ya
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:19 AM

Pittsburgh is a wonderful town. There are plenty of neighborhoods to hang out in also. A lot of people go there in the evenings, instead of in downtown. Sort of like in other cities, like Los Angeles. there is plenty to do, though.

These are places downtown and in the Strip District off the top of my head. Certainly, there are more.

The Original Fish Market in the Westin Convention Center.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/dinin...ish_market.htm

Casablanco Bistro
http://www.casablanca212.com/

Eleven
http://www.bigburrito.com/eleven/index.shtml

Tonic Bar & Grill
http://www.tonicpittsburgh.com/

Cafe Zao
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04149/322850.stm

Ruth's Chris
http://www.ruthschris.com/home.asp

Morton's