Recommended Hotels/Resorts in the Keys?

Old Apr 6th, 1997, 05:32 PM
TJJones

Recommended Hotels/Resorts in the Keys?

My wife and I would like to fly into Miami and drive to Key West. Would appreciate any recommendations on where to stay. Perhaps a few overnight stays in upper and middle Keys with a minimum 3 night stay in Key West. Nice 'on the water' resorts would be a plus. (Do any of the resorts have any decent beaches, or are they all small and full of seaweed?)

Old Apr 7th, 1997, 06:49 AM
Patrick Gaffney

Last question first. In my experience, there aren't too many beaches in Key West but lots of other ways of loolling about in the sun. Atlantic Shores can be fun (pool, deck, lots of people watching and a sometimes decent bar). It's hard not to find a decent guest house in KW. Surf the web--lots of choices. "Cyberconch" on-line magazine can be a great intro to housing choices. I don't know much about the upper and lower keys--tend to look at them as things in the way of getting to KW! Have fun--it's paradise!

Old Apr 7th, 1997, 12:51 PM
Neal Sanders

The best resort in the Keys (and the best food) is Little Palm Island off Torch Key at MM28. The resort is on a 5-acre island roughly a mile offshore. There are 30 rooms in 15 thatched huts. The food at their restaurant is probably the best in Florida; the chef is a Swiss who has fallen in love with tropical ingredient. LPI is about three miles from the Looe Key dive sanctuary; a great spot for both scuba and snorkelers. They also have sailboats, canoes, etc. The beach is nothing to get excited about (no beach in the Keys is worth getting excited about), but there is decent swimming. If you like rubbing shoulders with celebrities, you won't be disappointed. We were there once while Luke Perry was on his honeymoon. If you go, go for the MAP, it is a relative bargain. LPI's rack rate is about $330 per room, but there are all manner of deals, especially for mid-week stays.

Old Apr 7th, 1997, 07:10 PM
Karen Vanderburgh

My husband and I were in Key West last May and stayed at the Hyatt for nine days. We loved every moment. The beach was very small but the setting was beautiful. The views were fabulous. Key West has the best restaurants. I did a lot of research before we went so we managed to hit all the best. Mangia, Mangia, Cafe du Solei, Bagatelles, Blue Heaven, Louie's Backyard etc. We very nearly bought into the time share that Hyatt was offering up the street.

Old Apr 7th, 1997, 10:23 PM
DARRYL MOGEL

RE KEYS TRIP, MIDDLE KEYS IS THE HAWKS CAY RESORT ON ISLAMORADA, GREAT PLACE TO STAY BEFORE DRIVING ALL THE WAY TO KEY WEST. PLENTY OF WATERSPORTS AVAIL, THEIR OWN LAGOON AND NICE BEACH.
UPPER KEYS IS THE SHERATON KEY LARGO, NOT TOO MUCH TO DO, SO SO BEACH, I LIVED NEXT DOOR FOR YEARS, POOL AREA NICE.
IN KEY WEST, THE PIER HOUSE IS THE PLACE TO STAY, RECENTLY REMODELED, AND IN THE HEART OF THE DOCK AREA. YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED. HAVE A GREAT TRIP