Recommendations for travel with a 3 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to take a family vacation in the spring (we would possibly put if off until the summer time if we found a great place).

We just took a vacation this past spring to Orlando (Disney World).

My daughter will be 3 1/2 at the time. We like the outdoors, swimming, sight seeing, and exploring new things. She just likes to keep on the go, and we do too. But we like some R&R.

Any suggestions?

Oh, we live in Michigan and would like to fly somewhere. We were thinking of somewhere possibly out West, but are open to all ideas.

Thanks
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Sounds to me like you are looking for a beach vacation... One area that has a nice mix of R&R and sightseeing is the combination of Savannah and Tybee Island or Hilton Head. Stay in a beach house, and do all of the lazy beach things, and then make a couple side trips into Savannah.

I know what travelling with a 3 1/2 year old can be like, and I abhor connections when I do that. For that reason, you may want to also look into the beach destinations near Jacksonville and Tampa... more likely direct flights whereas Savannah will most certainly be a connection.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 07:10 PM

In the west, I'm a fan of the San Diego area, but the beaches aren't quite as "lazy" as the southeast. Lazy is good when you are on vacation.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 03:14 AM

What about the Lake Winnipesaukee area of NH? Either rent a cottage or stay at a motel. If renting a cottage, make sure you have a good beach area. Some cottages have steep stairs to a dock, not really a beach. Other cottages have docks only, not beaches. The White Mountains are a short drive away and Storyland in Glen is very popular with families with young children. You have all the advantages of lake and mountains. Closest airport would be MHT in Manchester NH. Choices of cottages range from high traffic areas to very quiet, private areas. The lake is huge so there is lots of variety.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Maybe you could try the Hotel Del Coronado in CA. We took our three-year-old there last June and she had a great time.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:18 PM

I'd go with a condo on the beach. You can check destinations and connections from you nearest airport and use that to help you decide where to go. I've been to San Diego, Lake Winnepesaukee and a number of Florida destinations. With a preschooler, I'd opt for beaches warm enough and sandy enough for decent play time. In the spring, that would mean Florida.

Flagler Beach is near St. Augustine which gives you some touristy options, too.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 02:11 AM

Whoops, previous poster is correct that Lake Winnipesaukee would be too cold in the spring.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I will research those options.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Arizona with a toddler????

Or Yellowstone Park?

Or Washington State area?

Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

bump
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM

How about San Diego? Lots to see/do including beach (altho it won't be swimming weather). The Zoo is great for all ages, as is Seaworld too. Lots of nice hotels in all price ranges.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Weatherwise, the southwest is perfect in the spring. The landscape is somewhat hostile for a young child - I suppose she will learn quickly not to touch the funny looking trees. She is too young for some of the fun, such as hikes and horseback riding, but you could always go back when she's older. The resorts around Tucson are lovely, and the heat feels just great after a long midwest winter.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Susan,

We have kind of different travel ideas in our family than most folks. (Ages 9 and 4 are the current kids at home).

We like hiking, (recreational only, 5 mile round trip max!) sight-seeing, particularly OUTSIDE of a city and swimming too.

We usually fly somewhere, rent a car, try to incorporate at LEASTt one hike or "spot" to visit per day and are in our motel/hotel room by dinner time, giving us time to unwind and relax a bit. We sometimes fly in to one place and fly out of another, but have lately been successful with "circle" trips.

When our 9-year-old was 3, we drove from San Francisco to Victoria, Canada. He still remembers many things about the trip - even things that aren't on film - and wants to do it again and show off the seals and hiking spots to his younger sister.
When our youngest was not quite 2, we went from Albuqerque down to Big Bend National Park - with a stop at Carlsbad Caverns and then up to Santa Fe - in February. VERY VERY enjoyable trip for us all. Snow just outside of Santa Fe and 80 degrees in Big Bend!
The next spring we had to cancel a trip to Ireland with our oldest son and daughter-in-law because my husband had really done a number on his back. He really wanted a vacation so we grabbed a charter to Mexico and stayed in Playa del Carmen. A quiet time for us, but we did rent a car and climbed the pyramid at Chichen Itza - the best part of the trip for us. It was a pleasant and EASY trip for a family. There was always pizza to eat and sand to dig in!
That June we flew to Reno and drove to Yosemite (VERY early June), with a brief stop at Lake Tahoe. Our 4-year-old (3 at the time) will tell anyone who asks about climbing Sentinel Dome and touching the clouds.

This spring break found us flying in and out of Vegas to get to 5 National parks in Utah - what a great time and what a beautiful part of the country! We stayed in a 2-bedroom condo when we were in Vegas, out by Red Rock Canyon. BTW, I can tell you where to get Labatt's in Las Vegas! (Actually, I have been pretty successful in finding it in most places. It is my husband's favorite beer!)

We are lucky in that our kids are great travelers - especially in a car. We live in SE Michigan and our youngest made her first car trip to Mackinac and Sleeping Bear when she was 2 months old.

Think about what YOU like to do and what your tolerance level is for potential crankiness from your 3-year-old - and also know that most "family" type restaurants can always make a grilled cheese!

We have a backpack thing for our youngest, but only used it once in Utah and have since packed it away. Maybe if you live close enough, you can borrow it!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM

What about Santa Fe? Great R&R at the lovely hotels (many even have spas) in the area, plenty of galleries/museums and the city is very walkable--lots of cute boutiques and the like. There is also hiking & outdoor stuff nearby, but of course this vibe is TOTALLY different from Disney so not sure if you'd be into it. I think the suggestions of San Diego & San Francisco were great ones--just know that San Diego will be much warmer in the spring than SF will be!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM

We've done both the Southwest in May (Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Santa Fe) with our three year old and San Diego during spring break. They are very different vacations but we had a terrific experience with both.

I was more rested after the Southwest trip. We drove alot the first five days but ended the trip with a five day stay at a nice hotel in Bernalillo, N.M., which slowed things down and allowed for some R&R. We loved Mesa Verde and the hike to see cliff dwellings at Bandalier.

In San Diego we stayed in a two bedroom at La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club. Very pricey but hard to beat the location and services. We visited all the local parks, some twice, and spent time in the pool (but it was raining) and on the beach. There was also a small wading pool for washing sand off feet outside our room which she loved!We also arranged for a sitter and enjoyed a romantic dinner in La Jolla at Jack's. I might have done less each day and enjoyed the beach more.

Another suggestion for a shorter trip would be Tucson. Our three year old loved the Sonoran Desert Museum and still talks about the trip.

We go home to Washington state every year and it is so beautiful with lots to do, hikes (plan for rain, but go anyway), museums, zoo, aquarium etc. Portland OR is also nice and has a great Children's museum, right next to the zoo.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Another vote for San Diego! I think all of you would love the San Diego Zoo. Plus, there is plenty to do in the surrounding area.
Another possibility could be San Francisco and Yosemite National Park.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM

How about across the country if you have time. We did that last summer with our 2 kids. It was so fun that we plan to do it again next year. Check my blog at http://rlao.wordpress.com for details
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:07 AM

I would go somewhere with a great beach AND great pool area so you can entertain everyone without traipsing about.

What about Hammock Dunes in Amelia Island? AWESOME pool with lazy river plus the beach.

Or Florida panhandle? Rosemary Beach or Seaside rental?

Phoenix has some amazing resorts with awesome pools, like the Hyatt Scottsdale GAiney Ranch and the Biltmore. The Hiltons have mini waterparks. A lot of the resorts can be had through Priceline too, so you can save some money.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:44 AM

My daughter was a one month shy of her 4th birthday when we made our first trek to Yellowstone National Park. I was a little aprehensive at first at trying to keep up with her in such a LARGE place, but it turned out to be one of the best vacations! She was in awe of everything around her! She's now 14 and she still talks about that trip! With some careful planning, I think you would have a terrific time. If you choose Yellowstone, I would put your trip off until summer. Pretty cold in spring and I'm not sure when the park opens this year. We've been there in May with snow and in October with a very warm days. Arizonia would be great in the spring. Tucson and Santa Fe would be good choices. I vacationed in both as a child and with a child. I did learn a lesson traveling with a child. Don't try to do too much in one day and take snacks! Enjoy!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 04:41 AM

I just thought I'd put in a vote for Yosemite NP. The park is compact (unlike Yellowstone), has many short paved trails, some longer ones too, and is easy to get around. In the valley, they have shuttle buses where you can get on and off without having to park - and your 3 year old will likely have a great time riding the bus too. You can stay inside the park in a a variety of accomodations. There are also vacation homes outside the park that don't have too long of a drive. Spring was a great time to visit. We've been once in April and once in May and while the high country is still snowy, the Yosemite Valley is beautiful and the weather is mild. Spring is also a great time to see Yosemite Falls at their finest. We also went to San Francisco for a few days after Yosemite and there are plenty of sights and sounds to see there, including a boat ride to Alcatraz which shouldn't be missed. You'd likely need to trade off on taking the audio tour but there are places to let your child wander outside and explore while you do that (especially if you bring snacks!).

Another place to visit, although more appropraite for summer, is Acadia NP in Maine. This is also a compact park which I think is nice for getting back to a room or cabin for a nap or lunch and then back out. There are lots of short hikes, even with views. The island has towns interspersed with the park and there are lots of great restaurants, kids activities, and you can rent a house or cabin easily. You can get a direct flight from Detroit to Bangor (or could a couple of years ago) and rent a car. Boston is another option as it's just over a 3 hour drive from there.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Ranches are a great summer vacation with young kids. Here's one we have been to a couple of times. www.laneguestranch.com