Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Dinner at Sunset in Oahu or Maui

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Oahu and Maui for a total of 8 days for our anniversary. I'd like to make reservations one night for dinner at sunset. I'd like a nice restaurant, but also not the most expensive option... Any recommendations, and how far in advance do you reocmmend making reservations?

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM

Hula Grill in Maui(beautiful sunsets, great Mai Tais, live music, and a great selection of appetizers, salads & sandwiches, among other delicious entrees. Also in Lahaina, dinner at Kiko's had great food & an awesome sunset.(remember to tip thehostess for better seating arrangements for sunsets!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Linleedo, Thanks for the suggestions! The menu I found online for Hula Grill looks good! Couldn't find Kiko's quickly. I'll have to do a bit more digging.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM

We really enjoyed Nick's Fish Market - we ate outside and watched the sunset; the food was quite good there, and the sunset was beautiful.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM

On Oahu, you might try the Hanohano Room in the Sheraton Waikiki. It's at the top of the hotel so of course there's a fabulous view. Same for Aaron's in the Ala Moana Hotel.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM

Here are a couple of my favorites for nice sunset viewing:

In Waikiki, The Shorebird at the Outrigger Reef Hotel. Right on the sand, basically. You cook you meat to your liking and there is a salad bar. The sunset view is beautiful (It does depend on the time of year, though)

In Lahaina on Maui, Kimo's right on the water. It's mixed in along all the shops along the seawall.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:32 PM

I think they meant "Kimos" not Kiko's in Lahaina. We love Kimo's. They start seating at 5pm and don't take reservations. We always get there about 10mins before 5 and always get AWESOME tables. They have wonderful food too. This is one of our favorite places. We went to Pacific'o in Lahaina last visit. We made reservations for my Dad's 50th bday dinner and they arranged for us to have a beautiful table oceanside. Their food was really good too! Either of these places would be great for a special event.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:01 PM

If you like seafood, I don't think you can do better on Oahu than John Dominis Seafood Restauramt, which is on the water between Waikiki and Honolulu - just past Fisherman's Wharf. It is expensive but no more than Nick's Fishmarket, and the sunset view is incredible.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM

We like Jameson's by the Sea in Haleiwa here on Oahu.

Not the fanciest place. More very casual, but good food and right across the street from the beach.

Being in Haleiwa (out on the North Shore) is also a nice change from the city.

http://www.restauranteur.com/jameson...onshaleiwa.htm
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Banyon Veranda restaurant at the Moana Surfrider in Waikiki. It's lovely. I don't know what's standard, but I just made a reservation the day before.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:11 PM

I also agree with Kimo's in Lahaina! Bebalm was right on, except we try to get there by 4:30 to insure we have a table at the rail! Then just take your time and enjoy a wonderful dinner! They also have live music downstairs to enjoy while you eat.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for these great suggestions! I'm going to look into these places and their menus tonight!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 03:15 PM

Sorry! It is Kimo's, not Kiko's.It's been a couple years since we were there. Thanks for setting me straight. Have a good time.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM

We had a wonderful dinner at Pacifico's in Lahaina. Right on the water, wonderful food and service. http://www.pacificomaui.com/
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:19 PM

We had such a fabulous dinner at Sarento's in Maui, we went back a few nights later. I also sent our firm's very picky CEO and his wife a few months ago for his anniversary, and they loved it. It's right on the beac and has great views of the sunset.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:24 PM

For an awesome sunset my picks would be La Mer at the Halekulani on Oahu or Carrelis on the Beach Maui
Kimo's on Maui is ok but the food is not great just average imho

Aloha!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Another vote for Nick's Fishmarket!!!

Mama's Fish Camp is also good, but too pricey.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Just remembered that the time of year makes a big difference on the views of the sunset as in the summer(right now) the sunset views are better on the North Shore of Oahu and that would make Ola at the Turtle Bay Resort as a nice place to view a sunset on Oahu.

http://www.turtlebayresort.com/Dining/Ola.asp

Aloha!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

We were leaning toward a special dinner in Maui since it would be near the end of our visit to Hawaii and a nice way to "go out," but the menus from some of the Ohau recommendtions looked great! I've printed out a bunch of menus (from La Mer, Nick's Fish Market, Kimo's and Hula Grill to name a few) for my husband to look at, who is probably more particular than I am.

I'm also interested in Jameson's by the Sea for another night if it's a touch more casual.

Thanks, everyone!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Next door to Pacific O, same ownership, incredibly romantic, covered and open air dining in the garden beachfront is I'o. They do more seafood. See www.iomaui.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -