Search

January in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
January in NYC

The kids and I wanted to see the Statue of Liberty (not go in, just see it) . . . and my original plan was to take the Staten Island Ferry. However, we're going the first week in January, and it's going to be FREEZING, isn't it? Is there a way we can see that famous site without getting too cold?

Also, anybody have suggestions for fun, warm things to do in NYC in early January?
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 01:15 PM

The SI Ferry has plenty of indoor space. Thousands of commuters use it every day. How old are the kids and what do they think they want to do here?
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

10 and 14. One thinks she wants a carriage ride in Central Park, and the other wants to take pics of the Staten Island Ferry. See a show, and maybe a tour of Radio City Music Hall. And go to the top of the Empire State Building. I heard good things about the Manhattan Toys R Us, though.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Pardon me, the Statue of Liberty is what she wants to take a photo of! LOL.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 01:56 PM

Top of the Rock is much better and she will get a great view of the Empire State Building. Walking in Central Park or ice skating are much better for the horses.

Take them both to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and let them wander around. Visit the toys in the gift shop there.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Here's what I was thinking
Friday from 4 to 8, MOMA, and maybe the Guggenheim if we have the time. (I found the Guggenheim so impressive when I was in my teens.) (Will double-check that both have a "donation" admission at that time.)
Planned to do the Empire State Building that evening since it's very close to the hotel.

Saturday: Staten Island Ferry, Chinatown for lunch (recommendations?), Wicked matinee . . . something near there for supper and/or late afternoon sightseeing.

Sunday: services at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Lunch? Where? Tour of Radio City Music Hall. I guess Top of the Rock could go here. Maybe ice-skating at Rockefeller Center since we are there.

I haven't finished my research, but a snack at Magnolia Bakery would be good, too, I think.

Would love recommendations to fill the holes, about restaurants, and also comments if my plan so far is unrealistic. Thanks for the help so far!!
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 04:38 PM

Don;t do ESB and Top of the rock - too repetitive in your veryl imited time. And the latter is better - no lines and you get a good view of ESB. And you can get a combo ticket for MoMA and TOTR.

I would look at Natural History versus the Gugg - which is much better for the building than the exhibit and It's always a favorite with kids.

Skating at Rock Center is very crowded and very expensive. Better to do Wollman Rink in Central park - or one of the other less crowded places.

Staten Island ferry has huge indoor space and is definitely worth it - no matter the weather.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 07:48 PM

If you are doing the Museum of History there is a skating rink there, beside the Planetarium.

You didn't mention how old the kids are but I'd suggest going to the MONH instead of MOMA. MOMA on Friday tends to be CROWDED with long lines. The Museum of Natural History has so much to see that the kids will be entertained for HOURS.

For food, one great spot kids love is Ellen's Stardust Diner on 50th and Broadway. The servers are Broadway wantabes so you get some good music with your meal and if the kids are "hams" they might get invited to sing too.

The Staten Island Ferry is alot of fun, but the BEST pics of the SOL is at dusk when the lights of the city are coming up, and the lights on the statue are beautiful.

Chinatown there are so many restaurants I can recommend. Peking Duck House on Mott St, is one of the best in the city and of course order the Peking Duck (pancakes, crispy duck and the kids get to make their own pancakes) Also a fav of mine is Manadrin Court also on Mott great Dim Sum there. The Golden Unicorn is also recommended, a bit more expensive for Dim Sum but really good.

After Chinatown walk up to Little Italy for some great desert at any of the cafes there.

A place I ALWAYS BRING, and I mean ALWAYS BRING family/friends is to Veniero's on 11th and 2nd Ave for the BEST in pasteries imho in the city. Stop there and pick up some goodies to take back to your hotel to munch on later.

Hope this helps and have a GREAT time while you are here.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:24 AM

The free time at MOMA on Fridays starts at 5 pm. It's the only time it gets really crowded there (unless there's some special hot exhibition). Lines usually start forming around 4-4:30 for the 5pm free time. What you might consider instead is buying a combo Top of the Rock/MOMA ticket which is $33 for both. It can be bought in person at TOTR. The Guggenheim is nowhere near MOMA (but it isn't too far from the Met Museum).

Know that the SI ferry doesn't get that close to the statue. While it's certainly good value for free, you might want to consider one of the cruises that gets closer. nywaterway.com has one that leaves from midtown (38th st. & the Hudson) that might be more convenient for you. You could also do that cruise after the matinee.

Goldstar.com is a good place to check for discounts. You might get some good ideas and there may be discounted cruises on there. (You have to register for free to buy the discounts). Highfivetix.com is an organization that makes discounts available to teens. Might be some interesting options there too. Cafewha.com is a popular place in the evenings with families. National Comedy Theater is another idea.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:58 AM

No one has answered your q about the Toys R Us. There's an indoor ferris wheel that the kids might like. The 10 yr old might enjoy this more than the 14 yr old. What about American Girl dolls? Any interest? It's right near Rockefeller Center and St. Patrick's. They serve brunch and lunch although not sure what time they open on Sunday. (note a lot of places start serving brunch at 11:30 or noon and not before).

St. Patrick's is across from Rock. Ctr. The Rock Center Cafe overlooks the ice rink and could be fun and special for a lunch/brunch. Ellen's Stardust diner mentioned above is also not far for a bit of "kitsch" fun.

Most people feel the cupcakes at Magnolia are not all that. (icing is very sweet). There are a few locations now for Magnolia. The original is in the village on Bleecker st. but there's also one at Rock. Ctr. http://www.magnoliabakery.com/find_us_new_york.php

How long will you be here?
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 07:11 AM
TC

We go to NY in January, one thing to be cautious of is too much walking. It can be VERY cold. I agree with others that Museum of Natural History or The Met (the amazing angel tree is still on display in Jan) are good choices for children this age.

The Brooklyn Diner is a great dining choice for kids. Either at 57th (btw Brdwy & 7th) or Times Square at 43rd (btw Brdwy & 6th). See menu at www.brooklyndiner.com

Have fun!
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM

What kind of food do you/your kids like? Ellen's Stardust is always a good kid-friendly suggestion. Being a Brooklynite, I think the Brooklyn Diner is the farthest thing from a real diner you could possibly get - but of course I'm biased.

On the boards, lots of visitors to midtown recommend John's Pizza. IMO, if you're going to walk over there, you could just as easily try more interesting options in Hells Kitchen: walk up 9th Ave for lots of great Thai places (Yum Yum, Wondee, Pams Real); Chiascurra Plataforma for all-you-can-eat Brazilian; Island Burgers & Shakes for a gi-normous selection of burgers, chix sandwiches and more; or Vynl Diner for a bit of kitchy diner glam (celebrity Barbies!) and a good mix of menu options especially for weekend brunch. While over there, don't miss tiny Amy's Bread for great cupcakes (especially red velvet), sandwiches and other pastries (if not necessarily the most efficient service).

One good local resource for checking out restaurants is menupages.com, with sample menus/prices and user reviews.

As far as I know, the Gugg does not have a pay-what-you wish day, though the Whitney does and there's an excellent Hopper exhibit there now through April. However, you can always walk into the Gugg lobby to stare up at that towering spiral for free! The Met is open late on Fridays and Saturdays, and IMO it's always fun to sit in one of their cafes and sip a drink while surrounded by art. Plus, there are so many different areas of the museum, there's always something for kids to enjoy! Period rooms, the Temple of Dendur, the Japanese garden, Arms & Armor, the Costume Institute (if any of you are interested in fashion)...

Another good local resource is hopstop.com for mapping out your public transit travels. Plug in dates/times and it will take posted construction as well as traffic into account.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 03:02 PM

Are you talking about this year or next? If now.... you're probbably here and the temps are in the 40's. Tho there's still lots of snow to crawl over.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips!

I was in New York for seven weeks years and years ago, so I'd forgotten some of the details! Like it was the Met, not the MOMA across the street from the Guggenheim. I remember being amazed at the Met . . . and the best thing about the Guggenheim wasn't the art, but watching people walk around that amazing spiral . . . like a giant antfarm. It was the first time I was ever aware of architecture . . . .

Dining: my kids eat chicken fingers. Sad, but true. Fortunately, there seem to be chicken fingers everywhere. I bet they'd eat moo goo gai pan, though .

Thanks again! And I'll be checking back over the next couple of days to see if there's more. Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM

Ah, so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised by many of the changes NYC has undergone in the last decade or so!

So now that you've made the distinction between MoMA and Met, will you still be visiting the former? The "original" MoMA was completely reinvented a few years ago, though the sculpture garden remains, and the collections are easier to view now. I can make dining suggestions nearby if it's still on the itinerary...

For dining right near St. Pat's, try Primeburger (http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/the-primeburger) or one of the Burger Heavens - here's a list of locations: http://www.menupages.com/restaurants...s/all-cuisines.

In Chinatown, dim sum is a good idea as suggested above: lots of little plates so the kids can try new things without committing to an entire meal. (Caveat being that a lot of dim sum dishes have shrimp or pork.) Watching the carts get wheeled around and getting to choose from them is pretty fun, even as an adult. Note too that with dim sum, the earlier the better, both for crowd control and quality of food!

You could also try the popular Joe's Shanghai, again keeping in mind that it gets very busy at meal times! They're known for soup dumplings - takes a special knack to bite a small hole and slurp out the soup before eating the rest of the dumpling!

And there are lots of Chinese bakeries and Taiwanese-style bubble tea shops dotting the landscape down there...

Looks like you have a good schedule and a good plan. If spontaneity happens to take you over the Brooklyn Bridge (or near Hudson Street in the W. Village), do try the hot chocolate at Jacques Torres (mrchocolate.com)!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:27 PM

I was going to suggest The Primeburger too, if you are going to be near St. Pats, but it is not open on Sunday, I found out. Mon-Sat and well worth a stop. Great food and cheap, a nice combination in New York. 51st just east of 5th Ave.

From there you might walk up to Central Park and go skating or walk up to the Central Park Zoo which is open all year round. For what you would pay for admission for 4 you can join the consevancy which will give you free access to the Zoo, the Aquarium in Coney Island and admittance to the Bronx Zoo. You would also get a monthly magazine sent to your home, as part of your membership and a FREE tee shirt for joining.

The Staten Island ferry would be a fun trip, and you might combine it with seeing some of Wall Street and the World Trade Center site along with St. Paul's Chapel. Closer to the Ferry terminal is Battery Park and a memorial to the World Trade Center, the Globe that was the centerpiece of the Trade Center survived under all the rubble and is displayed in the Park.

Hope some of this helps in your planning.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you! Getting near time to leave, so more after the trip is over.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM

If the kids have very limited menus you might try Ellen's Stardust Diner for a fun meal. It's just basic diner food- but the performing waitstaff are out of work B'way chorus boys and girls - and usually very good.