reasonable seafood restaurant -Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be near Disney next week at wanted a kind of "off the beaten" path seafood restaurant that locals like. Don't want to spend 100's for 3 of us, but would like a fresh, good me. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM

If you truly want an "off the beaten path" seafood restaurant that locals like, it will be better to get out of the Disney (Lake Buena Vista-Kissimmee-International Drive) area and go where there are more locals.

A very good, moderately priced seafood restaurant is Straubs in central Orlando. (They also have another location in Altamonte Springs but this will be further out of your way.) The address is 5101 E. Colonial Drive (SR 50) and the phone number is 407-273-9330. They have a very popular early bird menu offered from 4:30-6:00 P.M. If you are interested, reservations would be a good idea. I think Straubs meets your criteria for quality food and moderate prices.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM

OK I'm going to let the secret out. There is a place on International drive at the north end in Festival bay mall called Dixie Crossroads. Best place for seafood (must try the rock shrimp its their specialty). There is a web site at www.dixiecrossroads.com and go to Orlando location. Orginal is in Titusville and has been there for years, just recently opened Orlando location.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:57 AM

There's a casual place (may be part of a chain?) called Moonfish that we enjoyed. I think it's on W. Sand Lake.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I'll probably get my Central Florida citizenship revoked for saying this, but I've never been crazy about Dixie Crossroads. Every time I've been to the one in T-ville, it's been filled with loud groups eating everything in sight and running the waitstaff off their feet. Now, I know people who will gladly wait an hour to get into the place, so....there you have it!

Straubs is very good; I also like Shells for their fresh fish and good salads. www.straubsseafood.com or shellsseafood.com will give you a look at menus.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM

dsquared, The one in Orlando is actually much nicer than the Titusville location and is not as hectic. We always call ahead and have never had to wait more that 5-10 minutes. I am addicted to the rock shrimp so that's why I keep going back. And hey to each his own, if you don't like it, no problem just more for me!!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM

gmoney, LOL!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. Actually have been to the "Dixie" in Tville and really enjoyed the food (especially the hushpuppies), but we went for an early lunch and it was pretty quiet. We may just have to go for seafood more than just Friday as I think all the suggestions sound good. THanks again.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Ok, you all have convinced me that it's time to give Dixie Crossroad another shot - the early lunch idea sounds good!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 03:52 AM

dsquared, the Orlando location really is much more low key. I know what you mean about the T'ville location it is always so busy. I also really liked Shells but they closed the location we liked in Altamonte springs area and the Lee road one just always seems so dirty. Wish they would reopen one on the west side.