Ranches in East Texas?

Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:35 AM
Mar

Ranches in East Texas?

I am looking for a guest ranch to take a group of friends to somewhere near Houston (no more than an hour away) - any ideas? Would like access to river/lake, plus horsebackriding... any suggestions welcome!

Oct 3rd, 2000, 02:23 PM
pkk

I have lived in Houston for 30 years and I don't know of anyplace such as that close by. I'll ask around and get back to you.

Oct 4th, 2000, 07:17 AM
JBender

Not a ranch, but there's a resort/campground near the Big Thicket about 20 miles east of Cleveland called "Chain-O-Lakes". They have older cabins and duplexes, "bed-and-breakfast log cabins", horseback riding, herb farm, and a restaurant called the Hilltop Restaurant and Club. It was written up in Texas Highways and sounds lovely.

Their phone number for reservations, or for more information, is (713)592-2150. It also has a conference center, so it could be popular for business meetings as well. Just a suggestion. I've never been there, but am hoping to someday.

Oct 4th, 2000, 01:23 PM
Christie

The big Dude Ranches in Texas are located near Bandera, which is just west of San Antonio. There is also a place near Dallas called Texas Lil's that allows day access for visitors. www.texaslils.com

Good Luck!

Oct 5th, 2000, 01:10 PM
Mar

Thanks everyone - those are helpful - I'll look them up. In my research online I have found a hunting ranch (not what we need but interesting) called Cullum Ranch near Dallas that is supposed to be beautiful with excellent amenities. It can be found at www.cullumranch.com. I'll keep looking, so any other suggestions would be great!