Search

Raleigh NC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Raleigh NC

DS and DH are going down to check out NC State. After reading all the helpful past posts, I am going to look into the Courtyard at Crabtree Valley. Angus Barn sounds like a place they would like for dinner but I am wondering if there is a favorite of the students closer to the campus or, if not, something fun (not exotic) downtown. Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No you don't want to really do dinner at the Angus Barn. I would suggest going only for dessert and a drink at the Turkey Lounge. The bar area is a must see.

Dinner if you really wanted steak I think Sullivans is good (although a chain.) Simpsons is great for steak. It's near the area called Crabtree. Vinnie's is great!

Go downtown to 42nd street for seafood. Steamed oysters at the bar are delicous. Great spot to go for sure. It's a must.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think they would enjoy going into downtown but my son is not a big seafood eater. Even seafood is "exotic" to him. I'll pass along the steak house ideas to them.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 04:19 AM

I would go to the Angus Barn for your steak if you are in Raleigh. Why not?!!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Those of us that grew up in Raleigh call the Angus Barn the Fungus Barn. Sorry. It's just not that great of a steak. If you like steak there are a few other places to pick from that will be better.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:59 AM

frenchtoile, you are the only person I've ever known to dislike the Angus Barn. It gets star and rave reviews from everyone else (including me, and it's been years since I've been there).

Birdie, I can understand if you don't want to pay those prices for a meal. Hillsborough Rd. is an area with a lot of offerings for the college kids. I hope Subway Scoundrel answers because SS knows the downtown restaurant scene better than anyone on this site.

For something different, check out the "Char Grill" order burgers/fries/shakes through the window and take away the food. About the opposite end of dining than the Angus Barn.

The Crabtree Valley mall has a food court and a Cheesecake Factory. Good number of restaurants along Glenwood heading away from downtown. As a college student, your DS needs to know where the mall is
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

DS will avoid the mall like the plague. I hope they don't go to the Cheesecake Factory. I try to encourage them to try local places whenever possible. Otherwise, DS would eat at Applebees at every available opportunity.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Does your son eat Chinese food? There was a gtg around a year ago at the Neo-China on Glenwood. We all enjoyed the food and company and the prices for supper were cheaper than the Angus Barn.

I don't live in Raleigh, but if you son smartens up and goes to UNC, I could give him some CH recommendations.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

UNC is lovely but they don't offer construction management. And re: the smartening up, the avg SAT's and GPA's in the engineering dept at NCSU are incredibly high.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:16 AM

What kids have to do to get into college today is amazing.

I don't think I would have been accepted at the community college if I was a high school student now based on my performance (no dinosaurs roaming the earth, more like the times of the caveman).

There's lots of construction going on in the area, so he should have good opportunities for internships/work study. Downtown area has approved a couple of skyscapers and the issues of growth vs. preservation is a hot topic.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Go to the Angus Barn for the experience. It's completely compentent food and a lot of fun. It's not cheap, but the steaks are just fine. Don't know why the previous poster would suggest drinks at the Turkey Lounge for a high school student. There will be plenty of time for that kind of thing after he enrolls.

Don't stay out at Crabtree if their main goal is to see Campus. Traffic is awful out there by the mall and getting to and from Campus will be a pain. Stay either downtown or at one of the independent hotels on Hillsboro close to campus (someone help me with the names).

Walking up and down Hillsboro across the street from campus will afford lots of non-chain eating opportunities.

Have him walk campus taking note of where the dorms are in relation to classrooms. My biggest mistake my first semester there was staying in a dorm too far from classes (skipped a lot) and the dining hall (spent too much on fast food).

Good luck.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Brian. They are going to the campus first, staying the night and coming on home so it won't be as much a problem getting back and forth to a hotel.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:05 AM
bonniebroad

I feel Angus Barn is overpriced for what you get, and I rarely go there for that reason. Having said that, it has a neat atmosphere, and it's nice to go there once ...

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM

That's a good idea to stay on campus. Even so, unless there is another reason to stay out at the mall, I'd at least check the prices at the Holiday Inn Brownstone Hotel (www.brownstonehotel.com) or the Velvet Cloak Inn (www.velvetcloakinn.com) on Hillsboro Street.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM

I agree with ncgrrl, this Raleighite has never heard a bad word about the Angus Barn, other than that it is pricey. Ruth's Chris does a better steak, but the Angus Barn is a Raleigh institution. That said, if you wouldn't go there for a meal, it's absolutely not worth the drive (even from Crabtree) for desserts and drinks.

I really recommend Char-Grill. That is a much more student thing to do (heck, we used to drive to the Char-Grill on Hillsborough Street from Chapel Hill on special occasions).

For a different burger place, near your hotel, I'd recommend Fat Daddy's. Not as great as it used to be, but darn good anyways. I'm willing to concede that a lot of my fondness for it might be nostalgia, but I still recommend it.

Many restaurants have popped up in the Hillsborough Street area near downtown Raleigh - you all will surely find something to fit your tastes.

There's always the Applebee's on Hillsborough Street...
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. The guys did go to Angus Barn and enjoyed it, the 17 yo probably more than his dad. Dad said it was good, not great, but worth going to once for the experience. DS liked it because of the amount of food. They stayed at the Courtyard Crabtree Valley which they said was standard "Courtyard" but very difficult to find even with the Marriott web site directions. NCSU has moved to the #2 spot on the college list so there may be a return trip! Thanks again everyone.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM
bonniebroad

Birdie, I agree with your husband ... regarding Angus Barn: good, but not great. For the prices, it should be great!

Hope your son will choose NC State, and that you'll be back to our area. Thanks for getting back to us.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Not sure I am too late here but if you want to eat DT, there are numerous choices. In Glenwood south, for italian pasta, try 518 West or Sullivans for a nice expensive steak. Also for pub food in an Irish pub, there is Hiberian or Napper tandy's. Good pizza at Moonlight or Mellow Mushroom. All fun places. There is also a Hard Times Cafe which is cheaper and has wings, burgers, chicken.

At Moore Sq, there is Tir na nog, an Irish pub/reastaurant. Also there is Vics which is a small pizza/italian place in City market.

If you want a little nicer in DT, try Nana's which is in the warehouse district. Nice few of DT.

Also near the university on Hillsbough is Porters. In Cameron Village, there is Fosters.

I may be too late but numerous places, just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend