Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rainbow Room pre theatre menu worth it before broadway show?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Rainbow Grill is offering a pre theatre menu at $59 per person, is this worth it? I know the Rainbow Room is famous though I've never dined there. This would be for my parents before going to see the Producers on a Friday night mid-May.

Menu:
First course - lentel soup, buffalo mozzarella with tomato, bresaola with green salad
Main course - panzerotti with butter and sage, grilled salmon fillet with vegetables, beef medallions al pepe verde
Dessert - choice of homemade desserts

Thanks for any insight. I am also open to any other suggestions, this is my parents first trip back to New York in 30 years and I want to make the night special.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:28 AM

There are so many restaurants in the city so you certainly will have lots of suggestions.

That said, the view from the Rainbow Room is spectacular unfortunately the food is only ok. Since there has recently been a change in ownership, maybe that has changed, and I certainly hope so.

Maybe they can stop there for a drink in the bar and head out to another restaurant.

They will love the Producers.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:09 AM

One does not go to the Rainbow Room for the food (mediocre at best) but for the view. But if your parents are not foodies - and basic, tradtiional stuff is fine with them - they may not mind.

Without knowing what types of food or atmosphere they like it's hard to make recos. Assume you want to stay in a moderate budget?

Or, perhaps they might like to go there for a drink before and have dinner after the show - when you're not so rushed and things have started to liven up a little (nothing wore IMHO than rushing through dinner in an empty restaurant).
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:35 AM

I think a lot depends on your parents; how sophisticated their taste is, whether they have any memories of the place, what kind of food they like, how frugal they are (even if you're paying, if they'd hate spending that sort of money on dinner, it won't matter how good or bad the food is). It's also not that close to the theater if they're not good walkers. Foley's Fish House (in the Renaissance Hotel with a view) is closer to the theater, will probably be cheaper and I think the food's more dependable. Go to the Rainbow Grill after the theater for a drink.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I've been having trouble deciding as you can see! My dad went to the Rainbow room 30 years ago so I was thinking it may be neat to send them back again.

They do like good meals, and I am thinking that is more important than the Rainbow room. They will only be in NY for 5 days so I'm trying to make the trip as special as possible.

I am open to suggestions, and some place by the theatre on 42nd street may be more convenient. They are in their 50's and would like to dress up (suit and dress). Under $100 per person would be my limit I guess!

Thanks for your thoughts. I have tried the text search and am wondering if there are any specific suggestions for them and price.

I have reservations for Saturday at Tavern on the Green. Touristy, I know, but dad wants to dine in the park and walk around afterwards.

Thanks again for your suggestions
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:52 PM

The Boat House would be better IMO for Sat. lunch in the park than TOTG. For Friday night if you think they'd like the Rainbow Room do it (is it the room or the grill?) Otherwise Foley's or Above in the Hilton TS both have views, better food and are closer to the theater.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:59 PM

I think for many people the food itself is only half a meal (or sometimes even less than that). Based on what you say, including the fact your father was there 30 years ago, I'd think they'd end up enjoying the meal at the Rainbow Room more than anyplace else suggested, even if they were served Spaghetti-Os out of a can. And let's face it, while the food may not be the greatest, I am sure it is far from being bad and likely not to even be "just mediocre".

That said, the ideal alternative would be LeBernardin for a seafood meal of a lifetime -- although I think it's a sin to waste it on a sort of "rushed" before the theatre meal.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it's the Grill.... I didn't know there was a difference between the room and the grill.

I'm going to tell the parents about your suggestions, see what they think. The restaurants in the Hilton sound nice.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick. That's the thing, dad is a foodie and loves good meals. Is the food really that mediocre?

I am going to tell pops he my be sacrificing taste for the memories... perhaps they would maybe just want to go up there for drinks after the Producers.

I am also going to check out LeBernadin now. Dad loves seafood.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:10 PM

Another pre-theatre choice is The Four Seasons, also $59. The food is good, if fact, quite good, extensive selections, the service excellent, and the ambiance fine. Lots of people go for pre-theatre and they get you out ontime. They can get a cab at the Waldorf next door. If I remember, no views at the Rainbow Grill, but I am not certain. LeBernadin is more money and should be saved for a less rushed dinner.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Le Bernadin is offering a Prix Fixe for $92. If they took a 5:15 reservation would that give them enough time to really enjoy the meal and then walk to St. James theatre?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
GoTravel

My suggestion would be for a post theater drink at the Rainbow Room.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Okay, you guys talked me into it. I booked the parents for LeBernadin at 5:15 on the eve of the show. Dad said the dining expereince was more important, as I thought he would. And I suggested to walk to the Rainbow Room/Grill for a drink after and relive old times.

Thanks so much, you guys are great
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM

Very good solution
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:34 PM

I think they'll be very happy, but again, sorry that they won't be able to really "linger" over dinner.

LeBernardin is undoubtedly my favorite in New York, not only because the food is simply stellar, but because they have mastered the art of making you totally comfortable (starting with large and well spaced tables) and a magical ability to have the most polished servers who never intrude and take a cue from the client as to how formal, friendly, or casual to be. The place has every reason to have an attitude and be pretentious, but I have never seen even the slightest hint of either there -- and that is VERY rare among fine restaurants in NYC!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:03 AM

doesn't Cipriani operate the Rainbow Room now. Or am I behind the times. I suppose I could google it. If they are the operator, they are generally a very good caterer and I love their restaurants.
LMF
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:55 AM

When busy, you won't be admitted to the Rainbow Grill just for drinks. Only those with dinner reservations are allowed access to the elevators.

We ordered the prix fixe menu (with similar offerings) over New Year's after seeing "Wicked". The food was just fine. The views of the Empire State Building from Rainbow Grill are sensational. We booked through OpenTable.com, requested a window table and received one. If it's open the evening of their visit, they'll be able to wander down the hall to the Rainbow Room for a look. The views from the end of the hall over Central Park are fantastic.

I'm with those who advise against trying to enjoy a very nice dinner pre-theater, unless you allow lots of extra time. They'd likely find themselves with time to spare, but that's better than rushing.

Le Bernadin would be an excellent choice. And, a 5:15 reservation would give them plenty of time for a leisurely dinner and to stroll down 7th Ave or Broadway to the theater, 1/2 mile, 10-20 minutes.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. And a special thanks to you Patrick, my parents love seafood and love famous restaurants. I feel so much better about the choice. I'm embarassed to admit I never heard of LeBernadin before, and I try to keep up on these things! I learned that Chef James Beard was voted "best chef of the year" in 2003. That will really blow Dad's socks off!

And thanks so much for the tip that it will take 10-20 mins to get to the theatre. I was wondering about the distance.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:42 AM

You've made the right choice. We had dinner at LeBernadin last year before the theatre; everything Patrick says is true, and while it would have been nice to linger, the wait staff made sure we were out on time without our feeling rushed. It's one of the best dining experiences I've ever had...
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:44 AM

I'm a little confused by your James Beard statement. I think you meant Le Bernardin chef, Eric Ripert won the James Beard Award for chef of the year in 2003. Just so they don't go and ask to see the chef, James Beard!

By the way, want a laugh? I googled "Top Chef - 2003" and this was the first hit I got:
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/...skchef2003.htm

Anyone for a meatball dinner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -