rain on Maui

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 11:18 AM
dfo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rain on Maui

We are headed to Maui next week and have reservations at the Hyatt on Kaanapali Beach. We have been told by friends that we should be staying at on the Wailea side of the island because Kaanapali gets lots of rain. They also said Wailea is the most beautiful,and least touristy area of Maui. Please give me some feedback asap!!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 11:32 AM

Rain on a tropical island is not at all unusual. That's why it's so beautiful. I stayed in Kihei not long ago. It was pouring there, but not in Kaanapali. You just never know. But to be sure, the rain doesn't last long. Just makes the ground a bit wet. People actually stay on the beach during a light rain, as it comes and goes fairly quickly. Aloha!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 12:02 PM

we've been to kaanapali many times and it does not seem to rain at all. most of the rain seems to come overnight. my sister just spent the last 2 weeks there and have perfect weather, we leave in 10 days and i prefer kaanapali because the weather is so great. theres always a chance for a shower on any island, thats what makes it so green, but certainly not like the 22 days of rain we had in june in NJ. you'll have a great time...relax, have fun!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 12:47 PM

If you're quoting your friends verbatim, then there are some flaws in their statements.
First off, while there is a bit more rain in Kaanapali than in Wailea, it doesn't amount to enough of a difference that most casual visitors would be able to tell the difference. There is a legitimate difference in rainfall between Kapalua and Wailea, but it's only a few inches per year.

Also, if you are ranking areas by 'beauty', the prettiest part of western Maui is Kapalua (partly because of the extra rain). Wailea is the driest and least lush. But Wailea also has the best combination of luxury resorts. Their lawns, together with Wailea's nice beaches and the lower density/congestion (vs. Kaanapali) make Wailea many people's favorite part of Maui. But as for pure natural beauty, it's not as pretty as Kapalua.

Touristy areas are a double-edged sword...more to do, more activity etc, but less of an island flavor and less relaxing. Some people like Kaanapali best of the the three places, some people like it least.
The only way to find out how it suits you is to try it.
Hope you have fun.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Your friends are wrong on two out of three statements. Kaanapali does NOT get lots of rain. Wailea is NOT the most beautiful part of Maui. And although Wailea is not he least touristy part of Maui it is less so than Kaanapali.

Most people would die to have reservations at the Hyatt on Kaanapali Beach !! Go For It !!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 02:38 PM

Every year Kaanapali Beach is picked by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler, as the favorite beach destination in the world --- The Hyatt is the best hotel on that beach. Need I say more ??
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:38 PM

I agree with many of the others here. Your friends may be confused in that Kapalua seems to get brief rain showers most every day. Also, as to Kaanapali vs. Wailea, i think it' s a matter of personal choice. One year we split our time between 4 Seasons Wailea and the Hyatt in kaanapali. The 4 seasons was gorgeous, but we prefer the Hyatt because it IS a bit more active. 4S was too sleepy for us. Also, every afternoon during the days we were at the 4S, it didn't rain, but it got VERY windy and cloudy (and rained some of the days) whereas at the Hyatt we had perfect weather every day. We have returned to the Hyatt one other time and are heading there again the first week of August. Have a wonderful trip.