rail transportation from DC to Baltimore Wyndham Inner Harbor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get from DC with a small amount of luggage to the Wyndham Inner Harbor at 101 W Fayette St. on a Wed afternoon.(got it on Priceline,requested
Inner Harbor understand its not really, but stuck with it)Hate to rent a car and park it in a garage at $20.00 a night for 2 nights till I leave on Fri am for PA (would pick up car that am) Any ideas? Understand that MARC might work.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:04 PM

Hi,

Yes, you can take MARC, or AMTRAK. MARC is cheaper.

You can find all the details about MARC trains at:
http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/

I would not take a car from DC to Baltimore - I agree there.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Karen
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:07 PM

Oh - I meant to add - that hotel is 1.6 miles from Penn Station in Baltimore. I'd just catch a cab from the station to your hotel.

Karen
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM

from what I recall of the wyndham, one tower is better than the other . . . but unfortunately I can't recall which one. Perhaps someone else here can help.

i'd catch a marc train from union station in DC and cab it.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:15 PM

There are two MARC lines that will get you to Baltimore.

The PENN line will take you from DC's Union Station to Baltimore's PENN station. You could taxi from there, or even take the light rail south (the only direction it departs Penn Sta.) to the neighborhood & taxi from there. That light rail originates at Penn, so getting a seat will be no problem.

The CAMDEN line will bring you from DC's Union Station to Camden Yards in Baltimore, probably a closer taxi ride than from Penn Station. I find the schedules for PENN line trains usually more convenient than CAMDEN ... but both are at the website "kaudrey" provided, so you decide. But DO take MARC, and not Amtrak.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:25 PM
dcespedes

The luggage compartments on the MARC train will comfortably hold a carry on suitcase--as you enter the passenger area they are located immediately to your right and left. There are overhead bins but they look as though they might hold a folded newspaper.

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

I went to the web site mentioned trying to find the time schedules, but the print was really too small for me to read. WE want to take a train around noonish. Maybe I did something wrong. It appeared that the price was $7.00 o/w ea. My husband says we will have a rolling carry on and a garment bag. Do you think thats too much to take on MARC?
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:05 PM

You should be able to get that luggage on a MARC, especially mid-day you could probably even put it on a seat or on floor in front of seats.

During mid-day, you'll need to take PENN line, trains leaving at 11:20, 12:30, 1:20 arriving at 12.17, 1.27, and 2.17 respectively.

To read the PDF file, you'll see a magnifying glass .. click on it, then click on the schedule, and it will increase the font size.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:40 AM
dcespedes

I agree, you should have no problems getting that luggage on the MARC--the storage compartments are deep and they are two...maybe three stacked high. Since most riders are commuters luggage carriers are few and far between--I've never had a problem storing luggage. And you are correct, the fare is $7 each way--a bargain in my opinion. If you can, print the schedule--I can't read the screen version either but printing helps tremendously.

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:34 AM

Two years ago we also got Wyndham on Priceline. It is just 2 blocks from Inner Harbor. Hotel is fine - we had 2 huge rooms, one with corner windows. If you are planning on going to baseball game, it is actually closer to Camden Yards than actual "on" Inner Harbor hotels.