Reload this Page >

Radio City Christmas show or Mamma Mia!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 12:03 PM
KandKmom

I need advice to help me decide as to which show to try to see while our family is in NYC for a three days before Christmas. Here's the background info: family of four, two kids 13 and 8. Second time to NYC, first time at Christmas. Saw The Lion King on Broadway last summer. Unfortunately can't afford to do both, but I think we could do either the Radio City Show ($48 each)or mezzanine and/or discounted tickets for Mamma Mia! Which do you think would be best? I know I may be asking to compare apples to oranges, but I was hoping to get a feeling from some of you that may have seen both and could help in this decision. Thanks so much!

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have not seen the radio city show but have seen Mamma Mia. I am not sure that the subject matter is really appropriate for an 8 yr old. It is a wonderful show which we loved and there were some kids in the audience. Kids are exposed to so much these days and it doesn't have nudity just a lot of sexual undertones, so maybe it would be o.k.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
GoTravel

If you haven't seen the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall, I would pick that one. Everyone should see it once. I've seen it six or seven times and it always makes me feel like I did when I was five years old at Christmas.

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 02:29 PM

Here's another recommendation for Radio City - it truly is "spectacular".
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:09 PM

Definitely the Radio City show. Just being in that building is always a special occasion. You will be a 1/2 a block from the Christmas Tree and the skating rink and the NBC Experience store.

I have worked at Rockefeller Center for 30 years and there is nothing like the holiday decorations. For a quick bite, cross the street and enter the RCA (formerly the NBC building) building. Go downstairs to the subway level, there is a huge concouse with many eateries. Plenty of indoor seating. If you are lucky, you will be able to watch the ice skating while eating.

Walk a 1/2 block more and you can view the holiday windows at Saks Fifth Ave. Then cross the street and visit St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 04:03 PM
KandKmom

Thanks everyone so far for the replies! I think I am going to shoot for the Radio City Music Spectacular. We haven't seen it- only drove by the building and gawked while in the taxi. My next ? is how to get the best/closest seats for the money. Both of our kids are hearing impaired(they wear cochlear implants) and I would love to get closer for them. I have signed on to all of the discount websites...playbill, theatremania,etc. thanks to the forum, but I don't know if discounts will be found for this show and especially on the 21st, 22nd of Dec. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 04:36 PM

I don't recommend being too close (such as the VIP seats). The acoustics and speaker systems are magnificent, so hearing probably (though I can't say for sure) won't be different no matter where you sit.

Some years, there are discount coupons (on the web, too) for certain seats on certain dates, but only about a 10% savings.

I think nearly every show sells out, many way in advance, so it may just be best to get tickets as soon as possible for your dates.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:23 PM

Gald you decided on RC....those poor kids would be soooo bored with Mama Mia. BUT - if you lived thru the 70's - like I did - DON'T miss it!! We absolutely loved it but wouldn't expect a kid to enjoy it. They would probably say ; "HUH??" !!!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:00 AM

As your children are hearing-impaired, you may be able to get special seating or discounts. Contact Radio City Music Hall directly at:

Radio City Music Hall
Disabled Services Department
1260 Avenue of The Americas at 50th Street
New York, N.Y. 10020
(212) 465-6115 Office
(212) 465-6649 Fax

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
There is no additional service or handling fee incurred for purchasing tickets through the Disable Services Dept . Tickets purchased through this department are subject to the following guidelines:

Tickets are for the exclusive use of the disabled individual and their guest(s) and are not transferable. If the disabled individual cannot attend an event for which he/she has purchased tickets, call the Disabled Services Department prior to the event taking place for further instructions.

Transferring tickets that have been purchased through this department to other individuals may result in the revocation of your privileges to purchase tickets through the Disabled Services Department for future events.

This info is from their website at http://www.radiocity.com
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:24 AM

Radio CIty show absolutely.
The theatre is fabulous and the show is memorable. I"ve seen it several times starting when I was a child, taking my children and look forward to taking my grandchildren there. I think an afternoon with Rockefeller Center, Saks FIfth Avenue windows and the Radio CIty show will be a day no one will forget. LMF
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 05:22 PM
KandKmom

You all are the best! Cicerone, I will call tomorrow to inquire about the possible seating accommodations. I don't want to take the seats of those who really need them, though. My kids would do very well hearing music, (they have been with us to several open air concerts), but they could use the closer proximity for spoken dialogue. How much is there in this show? Thank you so much for taking time to share your thoughts and advice! LMS I love your suggestions for our afternoon. Would the 2 or 5 o'clock show on Mon. the 22nd be better to do those things?

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 03:36 AM

I"d do the 2 o'clock show so you will have time after to see the lights around Rockefeller Center, Saks, etc. It is wonderful to watch the ice skaters at RC. Whether you are religious or not, St Patricks cathedral is a NYC landmark and worth a stop. It is next door to Saks.