Reload this Page >

Radio City Christmas show

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 07:43 AM
GBelle

Has anyone attended the Radio City Christmas show in recent years? We're thinking of bringing our 2 sons to NYC, either around Thanksgiving or at December school break. Any advice on this particular show? (I haven't seen it since I was a child and then you got the show plus a movie!)
Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 07:49 AM
howard

I, too, have not seen the show in recent years, but it still gets good reviews and good word of mouth. If you're coming during Christmas break, I suggest to get tickets fairly soon. The shows tend to sell out during that period.
Of course, if you come Thanksgiving weekend, you can also take in the Macy's Parade.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 05:24 PM
sally

saw the show probably 5 years ago. it was good. i had never seen it before and don't know if i would necessarily PLAN to see it again, but i think kids would enjoy it.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 11:27 PM
Kerry

I saw the show in 1997 and '98. It was basically the same program. The show is beautifully presented. Giving the diversity of NYC the show could have some ethnicity to it. I did notice that some of the younger kids (perhaps under 10) did get a bit fidgety. All in all, it's a nice show however "Brady Bunch" it might be.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:09 AM
Jean

I saw the show last year and 2 years prior to that. I thought it was GREAT. At the end is a live nativity scene, with lots of animals. It was awesome. I think unless your kids are very young they would enjoy it. The Christmas decorations in and around town are great too. Any "kid" should enjoy them!! I sure did!!

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Mark

I saw the show two years ago, and though I was doing this more for my wife, I really enjoyed it. Made me feel like a kid again. I had wonderful seats that I got through Amtrak Vacations. I would think any child would love it. The use of live animals made the show!

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 07:52 AM
jwagner

Alright, I am the only one but I saw the show and was bored out of my skull. And when they did the big nativity scene at the end I was worried that the roof would fall in, the act of a vengeful God angry about 100 high-kickin' Virgin Mary's. But everyone else in my family loved it. So I think I'm just shallow or don't appreciate the arts.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 09:17 AM
tweedy

I would suggest taking in A Christmas Carol, instead of the Radio City Show, I think your kids would like it better.

Also get isle seats or the last row of the orchestra or first row of Mez, since the cast is out in the audience giving little gifty things away like choclate and small toys.

Also don't know if they still do it, but the last row of the orchestra at the end of the show, gets snowed on. That was fun, found "snow" in my pockets for weeks after (paper snow)

A Christmas Carol is becoming another NY tradition and it is really designed for kids and kids of all ages. We now see it every year (sick last year and had to give away our tickets, but won't miss it this year)

If you need any more info on the city, please let me know.

tweedy

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 10:00 AM
Amy

I have seen the show every year for the last 12 years - yes, I know it is insane but is a family tradition and I don't think anybody has the heart to tell anyone else that you've seen it once you've seen it a dozen times. We did take my nephews last year (3 & 5) and they thought it was amazing so it was nice to see it through their eyes. The rockettes are always impressive and the live nativity scene is a treat for kids. Have fun

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Jenna

I've seen it the last two years, once two weeks before Christmas and once before Thanksgiving!!! (Yes, I realize that it's hard to get into the Christmas spirit when there's still some leaves on the trees and the horrible NY weather at that time of year, it was even raining at the time!!!, but as my mom said, "You can't beat the price!") Anyway, they redid the inside of RCMH last year in its original thirties splendor and it's beautiful, very artdeco.
I think your kids will like the show a lot. It's kind of hokey, but very yuletidish. I'm sort of ambivilant about the Nativity scene. I get goosebumps at the "One Man" narrative, but then you see all the "followers" of Jesus up on those high stage things and you're like "Weren't those people just supposed to be shopping on Fifth Ave?" (part of the show)
Anyway, my little bro and sisters loved the show, but as tweedy said, the Christmas Carol is supposed to be great. My whole family except for me saw it and loved it.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Kay

Agree with those above. I saw it for the first time a few years ago. It does seem a little tame compared to many stage shows these days, but it is a classic. My husband (the scrooge) said he enjoyed it too. No kids with us. We bought tickets in advance and saw it on Thanksgiving Day after watching the end of the parade as the crowd thinned and having a great Thanksgiving lunch/dinner.