Reload this Page >

RADIO CITY APARTMENTS?

Search

RADIO CITY APARTMENTS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 04:07 PM
marie

RADIO CITY APARTMENTS?

Just came across an ad for Radio City Apartments on 49th St. between 6th and 7th. Very,very inexpensive for a Studio with kitchenette and private bath. Two double beds for $132.00 plus tax. I know the area is great but I'm afraid that the bldg. will be less than acceptable. has anyone stayed there, or know someone who has? I'd really appreciate any imput.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Patrick

I took a look at them hoping it would be a great place to stay for a month, but I passed on them. The decor is at best "early Goodwill", the halls were dismal, and the whole place reminded me of a cheap boarding house. There have been previous comments about them here if you want to do a search. I'm pretty picky about my accommodations, but if I can summarize what others have said, I suppose if all you care about is a place to sleep at a good price, and a clean and safe place, it would certainly fit the bill. Most of the favorable comments about the place have been backed up with comments like, "you won't spend much time in your room anyway." That kind of statement speaks volumes.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Owen O'Neill

I have stayed there and Patrick is essentially correct. I might describe it as "70's era EconoLodge" decor rather than "Early Goodwill" but it is rather plain and a bit drab. I did find it to be clean, quiet, safe and in an incredibly convenient location. The rooms were a bit larger than I've see in other comparably priced properties in Manhattan and the staff was efficient and friendly. We were in our room only to have a quick coffee in the morning and returned late at night to sleep. If you anticipate spending much time hangin out in the room or perhaps you want an element of romance on a trip with a loved one.... not the right place. Otherwise, I can comfortably recommend it.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:17 AM
T

I looked at Radio City, too, but then found Broadway Inn Bed & Breakfast for about the same price. Check it out---great, clean happy little inn, and the breakfast was included. Great location, too.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Owe O'Neill

For some reason I recalled reading something negative in this forum about the Broadway in but a quick forum search yielded only positive remarks. It is in a great location - certainly worth considering as an option. Rooms facing the street would tend to be very noisy, however as it's only a few feet from 8th Avenue.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Penny

Well, rats--I was about to make a reservation at Radio City. Can anyone suggest a place near Times Square for a family with two teens, but not outrageously priced? Meaning under $300/night??

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:02 PM
marie

Can anyone give me the address of the Broadway Inn B&B, even the phone number.
Thanks for all your imput ,hopefully, I will find something suitable and affordable for 2 adts and 1 chd. Any other suggestions?

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:23 PM
rqf

(800) 826-3000
264 W. 46th Street - Just off 8th Avenue

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:30 PM
rqf

Penny: check Doubletree Suite hotel located on Broadway and W. 47th Street.
They may be priced under $300 a night. Marriott Marquis on W. 45th and Broadway has been offering weekend specials for $189 a night (tax extra) and I believe children are free in same room. YOu have to cite a promotion number to get this price. I don't know the number but maybe someone else could help you out. If you call and don't have the promotion number tell them you read about the promotion price in a bulletin you reeived from the Theater Development Fund (TDF).

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:50 PM
MARIE

PENNY, IF YOU FIND SOMETHING, LET ME KNOW. I PREFER TO SPEND MY MONEY ON FOOD AND ENTERTAINMENT THAN A HOTEL ROOM BUT DO NEED TWO DOUBLES AND A PRIVATE BATH. TRAVELING WITH A 9 YR OLD AND ITS HER FIRST TIME IN THE BIG CITY.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Caitlin

You might want to chaeck out the Dumont Plaza Suites Hotel, on E. 34th between 2d and 3d. 1-800-886-5292. Not sure they'll be under $300 for a suite that sleeps four, but definitely for a three-person suite. Their suites include full kitchens/kitchenettes. It's a pretty easy hop to midtown, and the neighborhood right around it has plenty of inexpensive-moderate resteraunts, two movie theaters, groceries, etc. You can take the 34th St. crosstown bus and then walk or subway to Times Square.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Penny

In response to another message I posted, someone suggested the San Carlos Hotel, http://www.sancarloshotel.com,
about 5 or 6 blocks from Times Square. I just called to find out more about the rooms and got a rate lower than the posted Internet rate: $245 for a junior suite, which will be two double beds, a queen-size pull-out couch, and kitchenette. The diff. between the jr. suite and a 1-bedroom suite is that there's no wall between the bedroom and living room. That's fine for us, but w/a boy 12 and a girl 15 we need more than two beds.

It also includes continental breakfast. Looks great, and I'll let everyone know after we return.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:36 AM
rqf

The San Carlos is east of 3rd Avenue on the east side. This is a very good area but it is close a 20 minute walk to Times Square. When walking cross town the long blocks (avenue to avenue) are equivalent to walking three blocks from street to street so it is closer to a 15 block walk to the northern edge of Times Square (47th Street). In terms of distance it is just about one mile to 42nd and Broadway.
If you don't want to walk there is a crosstown bus that runs eastbound on 50th and westbound on 49th. Bus will cost $1.50 per person. You must have exact fare in change unless you have a Metro Card. YOu can purchase a Metro CArd at any subway station. Metro Cards are not sold on buses. If you intend using subways and buses consider the one day unlimited use Metro Card. It is good from the time it is purchased until 3am the following morning - cost is $4 and it can only be used by one person. It is a nice walk along either 49th or 50th going westbound. At 5th Avenue you will see Rockerfeller Center (where they have the Christmas tree and also St. Patrick's church.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Stephen

There are some booking services with very good rates at hotels in the Times Square area. I have booked with www.quickbook.com and www.hoteldiscount.com and have found both to be good. The benefit of quickbook is that they don't require payment in advance. You just pay at the hotel as you would with a regular reservation. I was in new york last week and stayed at the Days Inn on 8th Avenue and 49th Street, a great location. I was a little concerned before going because I usually stay in nicer places, but it turned out to be very satisfactory. The rooms were extremely clean and large for New York standards. The service was good in the hotel. I would recommend it, unless you are looking for luxury accommodations. The best part is that I got a double room for $109/night by booking with a service called Express Hotel Reservations (website: www.express-res.com). Before booking with them I called the hotel directly to see what rate they would offer and the same room was offered to me at $170.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Look Here

#

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Glen

I hear a lot of negative speculation about Radio City Apts. Well, I've stayed there a couple of time and found the location to be a well kept secret with which I was quite pleased. Most recently stayed there last December. The decor is not really up-to-date, but the rooms were spacious, for New York, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and the kitchenette was a big plus. There is a Food Emporeum about 3 blocks to the west on 49th St. I have also stayed at Broadway Inn and found it to have basically the same decor, but much smaller bathrooms, smaller rooms in general, and no elevator!! To me,Radio City Apts. is the better choice.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 12:26 PM
joann

Penny,
It sounds like you've decided on the San Carlos, but did you call the Doubletree? They often show rates of $229.00 on their web site. I booked a week at this rate in late May. Of course an extra person over 18 yrs. is $20.00/night extra (yours are younger, right), and there is no cont. breakfast included. However, the location right at Times Square was right for us--the teens can go stand outside MTV for hours and I don't have to worry about them finding their way back to the hotel and the theatres are within walking distance.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 04:32 PM
rqf

Joann- kids can certainly stand in the street and look up at the MTV studios. They should check, however, to see if something is going on - I walk by frequently and most of the time there is nothing to look at.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Kathy Lindroth

For the family try the Rhiga Royal and book it on quickbook.com. Prices start at $249 for a suite, but you have to request one with a sofa bed. There is no kitchenette, but it is located at 54th and 7th which is an easy walk to the theatre district.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Annie

up for maurice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -