Reload this Page >

Quick, relaxing DC getaway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:53 AM
dc

Need a nice Memorial Day couples-only weekend somewhere close to home (DC.) Any suggestions within a 3-hour drive? Budget is somewhere between moderate and luxury.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:15 AM
George

I was gonna suggest Pittsburgh, but that's 5-6 hours. Though I hate to tout our own horn, Harrisburg has an Artsfest that weekend. The venue is Riverfront Park, which is along the Susquehanna in Harrisburg.

Hershey is also about 20 minutes down the road, so you can give that a look as well.

The river is a little jewel. It was never deep enough for serious industrial development, so its prime usage is, and has been recreational.

Take a quick look at the Artsfest info here, http://www.modeweekly.com/artsfest/ , and then I'd suggest doing some Google-searching for more information. We're not quite as well-organized when it comes to the WWW as we'd like to think.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:12 AM
mimi

I suggest the Brandywine Valley, just north of Wilmington, Delaware near the DE-PA border.

Lots of museums and gardens that once belonged to the du Pont family--Winterthur, Longwood, Nemours. Beautiful countryside, too.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Johnlw

Mimi has an excellent recommendation.

There is also a Wyeth Museum in Chadd's Ford in the Brandywine Valley that is great fun, and free. Also, Longwood Gardens, and Winterthur, and the Hadley Industrial Museum.

Reminds me that we need to go back there, it has been a while.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:39 AM
JTA

The Greenbriar, located in Sulphur Spring, West Virginia. VERY nice and relaxing. They are known for their spa treatments, but also have a great golf course. The rooms are lovely, as are the grounds. I remember that the Sunday brunch was outstanding. They have a website, www.greenbrier.com.

Now I want to go!!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:43 AM
jb

What about the Greenbrier? It is supposedly one of the highest rated resorts in the world. Expensive, but supposedly worth it. I have not been but few of our friends recommend it.

Their website is www.greenbrier.com

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:15 AM
dc

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been eyeing the DE-PA area, so that may be the place. Have done Philly & Wilmington but not the Brandywine valley.

Heard lots of great things about the Greenbrier - but they weren't footing the bill!!

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:16 AM
ingrid

How about the Tides Inn or Tides Lodge in VA's Northern Neck? We love the place and if you stay in the lodge it might fit budget-wise.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Ann

George must be a very slow driver. Pittsburgh is about 4 hours from DC.

Harper's Ferry is only about an hour. Just avoid the Hilltop Hotel. Great views, awful rooms.

Brandywine Valley's a good spot, too.