Search

Questions about the Maui Hyatt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about the Maui Hyatt

Hello,
I received the Hyatt Maui on Hotwire for 7 nights in August for my honeymoon -- $208 per night. (We have 13 nights in Hawaii, and will also visit Oahu and the BI, I think). I have a few questions about this resort, and I would love any input.

1.) First of all, if you have there, what was your impression of the resort overall? Opinions?

2.) What is the pool like? Are there plenty of chairs for lounging, and how deep is the pool? Is there a swim-up bar?

3.) I have read that this is not the best stretch of Kaanapali beach, which is a bummer since we are both big pool and beach people. (Although we did know this when we booked it.) What is the beach like, and how far down will we have to walk to get to a better stretch of beach for swimming and sunning? Can we park ourselves in front of any hotel (ie Sheraton)? What do people do about chairs?

4.) Is it possible to get a fridge (not a minibar) for the room?

5.) Has anyone booked Hyatt Maui through Hotwire? Are the rooms ok? I know we'll get the lowest category, but it's still our honeymoon!

6.) Are there any shops/restaurants within walking distance?

7.) How long of a walk is it to Black Rock?

I'm sure I will have more questions as we draw closer to our honeymoon, and I always appreciate your help! Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:40 AM

The Maui Hyatt is a beautiful hotel. Have stayed there several times. Last Nov when we went to Maui we didn't stay there but we visited and it's still just lovely. The grounds are very nice and quite tropical with penguins, parrots and swans.

They have redesigned a part of the pool to appeal to the children but this section is separated from the mail pool by the giant waterfall. Yes there is a swim up bar. They also had mounted a basketball hoop on the side of the waterfall. The pool is not deep. Probably not even 5'. Don't know about August but there were plenty of chairs in October.

The beach walk is very nice and stretches from the Hyatt on the south end to the Sheraton (Black Rock) on the north end. In between are very nice beaches, shops and hotels. The beaches are open to the public. The shops are a short walk away. We stayed at teh Marriott whcih is next door to the Hyatt and we were so busy looking at the various grounds of the properties we passed that we didn't notice the walk at all. Also people watching can be very entertaining around happy hour The walk is paved so it might be 10 minutes to black rock. There is free public parking at the Sheraton if you prefer. The hotels have to provide public access to all beaches so we parked at the Sheraton and took the beach access path to Black Rock. Not that we needed to drive from the Marriott, it's just that we were already out and about and rather than go to the Marriott and park and then walk down we just went to teh Sheraton.

We've had the low level garden room before and it was fine. The room furniture and configuration was the same as when we had the ocean view. It's the view that makes the difference. We didn't spend too much time in our room though.

You'll have a great honeymoon at the Hyatt.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Suzie, thank you for your detailed reply! There is a lot of great information there...Anyone else?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM

You got a very good price for August! You cannot really go wrong with the Maui Hyatt, it is one of the nicest hotels in Kaanapali and it has the BEST pool(the Westin's is nice but too crowded!). The pool does have adeep section and it can be hard to get a beach chair in this section as this is sort of the adult side of the pool. There is a neat hidden cave you can swim up and into, they use it to do scuba lessons with (it is inside the wall of the waterfall cave that the bar is on) The bar is not a true swim up bar, you actually have to exit the pool, go up a couple of stairs and sit above the water, but it is inside the cave pool enclosure. I LOVED,LOVED,LOVED the pillows on the beds there, so much that I went out and bought new pillows when I got home. The rooms are tastefully decorated, a little minimal in design, but very nice and understated. They absolutely will bring you a small fridge free of charge if any are avaliable. They are really small though, like maybe 2feet by 2feet, smaller than a regular hotel room bar fridge. The lobby atrium soars and I think is open air, with birds, fish and lots of tropical plants, flowers and trees, many nice stores and boutiques, including a little sundry store in either wing. If you try and time your arrival for a not so busy check in time, you may get an up grade. We ended up with an ocean view when we booked through priceline as that is what was avaliable at the time. The lanai is small which was a disapointment for us as my husband likes to read the paper (West Maui News or USA Today was complimentary-actually was one of the things included in the mandetory resort fee of 12/day)and have a coffee or two in the a.m. The biggest let down for me was the Swan Court restaurant. We ate a few breakfasts there and while the food was really good the restaurant itself was really kinda run down. In it's glory days of the 80's the pink would have been right in style, and I can even turn a blind eye as it is in a tropical setting, but the wallpaper was peeling off the wall, the mirrors were tarnished, the carpet very worn. It just looked tired. My only other complaint is the aloof staff. Even the maids will turn their heads instead of saying hello or aloha. There really were not a lot of smiles and friendliness that I have come to equate with Hawaii. Mind you we were there in late March when the war was just happening and the mood of everyone was sombre. The beach is small but because of this a lot of people tend to move down the beach and this stretch is fairly quiet, perfect for a honeymoon! Don't despair, the walk to the first little bit of bigger beach is not bad, a few minutes. We tend to move around anyway, just for variety. Have a great time, you will enjoy the hotel and Maui.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:57 PM

run down swan?

i had to reply- we were there in august and visited for lunch and sitting at the swan and reading the paper and looking onto that waterfall is one of my fondest memories of that particular trip!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:04 PM

Well, I have to agree that those 6 to 8 tables that are staggered in front of the water do have a very nice feel to them, but one very busy morning the only table we could get was to the back left (as you enter) and it was really run down, boarderline grimey! As I say, this was a big letdown because they boast about how great it is. I did have some amazing papaya slices though!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses! Anyone else on the Hyatt Maui?