Reload this Page >

Questions about Kauai:

Search

Questions about Kauai:

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:35 AM
twist

Questions about Kauai:

This may or may not be a good idea, but my fiance and me are planning a vaction to Kauai on VERY short notice. In fact, we would be leaving on Feb. 23rd and stay for approx 5-6 nights.

I have spent the last couple of hours reading through all the relevant posts, and I was wondering if the following information is correct:
(1) Feb is the rainy season; you risk bad weather if you stay up north.
(2) Bad weather aside, the north is more beautiful than the south.
(3) Although the north has better views, the beaches this time of year are not very conducive to swimming.

Are these statements accurate? Finally, for a couple in their lates 20's looking to hike, lay on some beautiful beaches, possibly swim, and definetly take in the natural beauty, where is the best place to stay: North or South, and what hotel would you suggest with your respective choice?

Thanks.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:34 AM
jc

It's never a bad idea to go to Kauai!! If it weren't so far away from my family, I would have never returned from my vacation!!

The questions listed in your post are all correct. Winter brings higher surf to the north side of the islands which can make swimming dangerous at some beaches. The north shore of Kauai is definitely more beautiful. Since it does get more rain, everything is greener and is just like you expect paradise to look. The southern and western parts of Kauai are beautiful, too, but are drier and look more like Arizona/New Mexico with the ocean as a backdrop. (It freaked me out a little to see cactus growing since I wasn't expecting them!!) There are places to hike all over the island and so many beaches you could go to a couple different ones every day of your visit! (Lumahai past Princeville is my favorite.)

There are lots of things to keep in mind when figuring out where to stay. Even though there aren't that many roads on Kauai, it's still a pretty large island. The roads rarely get to 4 lanes and get very narrow and curvy on the north shore. It took us 45-60 mins to drive from Princeville to Poipu depending on traffic. I think staying in Kapaa or somewhere along the Coconut Coast is best...it's an easy drive to either the north or south shore.

We stayed in Poipu at the Hyatt for the first half of our visit and in a condo in Kapaa the second half. If you want to keep dining out to a minimum, go for a condo since it'll have a kitchen. There are lots of restaurants along the Coconut Coast, but not that many on the north shore.

There's a lot more I could tell if you'd like. Send me a regular e-mail if you have any more questions!

Aloha and enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Larry

If the rain doesn't bother you (can always sit under a tree or patio), Kauai is Beautiful. My wife and I were there in September and loved it. We stayed on the north side at a place called Steves Guest Studio accross from Tunnels Beach in Haena. Beaches on North side are beautiful. Tunnels, Ke'e, Secret beach is almost a mile long with lush foilage and the lighthouse at the far end.
If it's not raining, the hike along the Napali coast (originating at Ke'e beach) is Breathtaking and a challenging but enjoyable hike. You have your choice of destinations; the first beach is about 2 miles in, the waterfalls about 4 miles, and if your up to it and have a couple days (and a camping permit), the final beach at 11 miles. Theresa and I went for the waterfall at 4 and found that good for a daytrip.
Been to Maui a couple times...prefer Kauai.
Have a great trip..feel free to e-mail if questions.
Larry

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Paul

all three statements you made are correct. North shore will be lush, beautiful, VERY wet and with very rough surf at the beaches, usually far too rough for swimming. It is most likely going to rain a lot.

If you go, stay on the southern coast, maybe the Poipu area, if you can. You won't get rained on nearly as much and the beaches might actually be swimmable!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Marilee

We just got back from a less than perfect week (weatherwise) in Kauai but we still had a great time. We learned quickly that beachmats make great overhead shelters during rain squalls! We always stay in Poipu in the winter but have friends who just came back and raved about a place that they stayed near Kapa'a called Rosewood Cottage. They loved the cottage and liked being midway between the south and northshores. They could pick their beach by the day's weather report. You might check out the Rosewood website. They offer several options and our friends photos were great.