questions about Brimfield

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about Brimfield

We are going to Brimfield first week of May for the antique show. As of now, we have reservations in Auburn and Springfield, MA. We will be driving from Ohio. I know Springfield will be closer to Ohio but which town is easier driving to antique show?

Also any tips on seeing the show? It seems overwhelming to me. Would also appreciate any advice on great restaurants, diners etc. Thanks

Pam
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Can I ask why it's between those 2 towns??
I think Springfield may be a better choice and Springfield area (Northampton, Amherst etc) maybe more interesting than area around Auburn.

Springfield is much larger city tho...

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Auburn's about a half-hour east of Brimfield; Springfield's about a half-hour west, but it's also south of the Massachusetts Turnpike (Route 90). If you check a map of MA, you'll see that Route 90 cuts right across the state. If you can stay closer to the Pike, rather than south of it in Spfld, that will save you some driving hassles. Are you sure there isn't anything closer to Sturbridge?

Have you checked the Brimfield Antiques Show's own web site? There's a link to accommodations that might help, as well as lots of tips about the show itself.

http://www.brimfieldshow.com/

There's no getting around the fact that it's an overwhelming experience. Don't try to master the situation, just go with the flow!

My only advice is that if you see something you're interested in, BUY IT. If you decide to go back later, you'll discover that either (1) it's been sold or (2) you can't even find that booth agan.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:15 PM

We are traveling from Ohio to the Brimfield show as well. It will be our first time there and I have visited the brimfieldshow.com site many times. Pay attention to the part about parking. Nothing worse at a big show than having to lug those purchases to your car which is parked in the hinterlands! I don't know when you booked your accomodations, but we couldn't get any closer than the Springfield area in early March. I was told that, in the future booking around December is required in order to get a room in Brimfield or Sturbridge. Anyway happy hunting and hope for sunshine.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:07 AM

No town is easy driving to Brimfield -- be prepared for lots of traffic. My choice would be Springfield.

For dining, there are tons of good places in Sturbridge; Brimfield itself is short on options (it IS a small town 49 weeks out of the year -- one Italian restaurant that is merely OK if I recall), and then there's the food court where we invariably end up with a lobster dinner which is actually pretty good.

The earlier you get to the show each morning, the better your parking choices (Meadows in the beginning of the week, Hertan's at the end of the week). You can drive up at the end of the day to most fields and pick up large purchases.

Bring a cart for small items that you're taking with you. Get receipts AND booth locations AND dealer's cell phone numbers for every purchase you are not carrying (furniture etc.) and make sure you know when they're packing up! Some dealers move from field to field and only stay a few hours in one. Comfortable shoes are a must -- hiking boots are an excellent choice (especially if it rains.)

It IS overwhelming and can be confusing because of the opening and closing of the shows on various days. Pay attention to those limited day fields, and shop them in the order in which they open (make a plan and map). Some fields are open all week (Meadows, etc.) and can be shopped at your leisure. Do be aware though that many all-week dealers leave Friday and Saturday.

B/

Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:58 AM

Now, I know why there are so many out of state cars at Skinner's in Bolton... Forgot about Brimfield..