Search

Questions about Big Island/Kauai Activities and B&B's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:06 PM
SOF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Big Island/Kauai Activities and B&B's

My husband and I are planning to go to Hawaii in mid-May for our first anniversary. We'll be spending 5 nights on the Big Island and 3 nights in Kauai. We like activities - hiking, beach walking, kayaking, sunset watching etc. and would appreciate suggestions about people's recommendations. Also, we'd love recommendations for nice but not overly expensive (i.e., @$150 or less) B&B's -we're thinking about spending 2 nights in Volcano on the Big Island and 3 nights near the Kohala coast on the Big Island. (We don't need to be near the ocean). Then, we have 3 nights in Kauai - and we're undecided about whether to stay on north or south shore - although I'd really like to be on the beach in Kauai. Any favorites?

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:27 PM

When I stayed near Volcano National Park last year, I stayed at the Hale Ohia Cottages. The place was very pleasant and very conveniently located to the park. Here is their website:

http://www.haleohia.com/index.html

The Kiluea Lodge (frequently mentioned on this site) is another alternative. I didn't stay there, but had a lovely dinner there.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:51 PM

I believe your best source of info. can be found in 2 inexpensive guide books available at Barnes & Noble (for example): "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" and "Ultimate Guide to Kauai". My Big Island favorite activities include Volcanoes National Park-Chain of Craters Road-Lava Flow, a snorkel boat trip aboard the Fairwinds II from Keahou, snorkeling in Honaunau Bay, & a visit to the Hilton Waikoloa (disneyworld) for dinner. In Kauai, we liked the condo's in the Princeville Resort Area (available in your price range), Kee Beach at the end of road, north, and touring the NaPali coast via hiking, helicopter, or by boat tour. Have fun in Paradise!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:58 AM

My husband and I went to Hawaii for our honeymoon. On the Big Island, we stayed at the most unique place I have ever seen, called the South Point Banyan Tree House (http://www.ifb.com/hawaii-banyan). It is a house, built in a Banyan tree. Very quaint, very nice. The man who owns it lives in the little place next door to it. It is probably 30-60 minutes from the volcanoes national park.

There is (or was when we were there) a functioning B&B at the base of the volcano, if you are in for adventure. I don't know the name of it, but it is the only structure on the volcano that is still standing, I believe.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:14 AM

We stayed at a wonderful B&B last Nov. on the Big Island. It's the Areca Palms, website www.konabedandbreakfast.com. You'll also find it in the Frommer's guide. It's at Captain Cook, south of Kona. Not quite the Kohala coast, but a good location, up in the hills above the "Place of Refuge". Plenty to do there - we rented a kayak and paddled across the bay to the fantastic snorkeling site by the Captain Cook monument. The B&B is beautiful, nice helpful people, fantastic breakfasts, hot tub - well within your budget too.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:33 AM
SOF
Original Poster

Thanks so much. These all sound like excellent ideas. Any other ideas, especially for accomodations on the Kohala coast and in Kaui?
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:39 PM

We recently stayed at Carsons Volcano Cottages; very nice setting and excellent breakfast. We only stayed one night, we were squeezing more time for Kauai. There isn't much to the town of Volcano, but it is very convenient to the park, and the accomodations seem much better than the NP lodge. Be sure to take flashlights when going to view the lava flow at night. I would also think of going later (~10pm) to avoid the crowds and traffic jam at sunset (make a day trip and a night trip, don't join the mob trying to combine them); it's a better experience with a dozen people than a thousand.

For the north side of the big island, you might consider Waimea, in the cattle country; we stayed at Belle Vue there, had a huge luxurious room (though breakfast was just some fruit, granola and milk provided in the fridge). Another Waimea spot that looked good was Jacaranda Inn. We liked the area, at 2500' it was cooler that down by the coast. It takes about 15 minutes to drive down to Kohala area.

For Kauai, you might try www.kauai-hawaii.com , it is the visitors bureau site. Three days isn't much, but that's life. I think north and east shore areas might be better for beaches, though currents make a lot of east-side beaches bad for swimming.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:55 PM

We just got back from an adventure-filled week on Kaua'i. The unanimous vote for my family's favorite Kaua'i activity was our kayak tour with Island Adventures: Paddle a while, watch primo tour guide Jason do a gainer off the Indiana Jones rope swing, hike a bit, swim under a waterfall, eat a fresh papaya... Highly recommended. We were told any beach north of Kapaa was a bit dicey this time of year, but of course it may be much better by May. Because of the rough ocean (and limited time), we skipped the Napali Coast boat tour this time around, but if we were to go back later in the year it would definitely be on our want-to-do list. The helicopter tour was terrifying for those of us who prefer terra firma, but also exhilarating and spectacular. Kinda spendy, but a memorable once in a lifetime experience.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:43 PM

For North shore Kauai B&B, you might look into Plantation Guest House in Hanalei. We didn't stay there, but in driving past it looked like a winner. It's across the road from the beach, but being on the far side of Hanalei, there didn't seem to be too much traffic.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:56 AM
SOF
Original Poster

Thanks for these ideas. I will definitely check them out. Has anyone stayed at Kilauea Lodge on the Big Island or the Plantation Guest House in Hanalei, Kauai?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:23 AM

I just booked Palms Cliff House outside of Hilo for my days at Volcano as we're flying in and out of Hilo. It looks SPECTACULAR and is only 30 min from the park. Website of the same name.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:39 AM
SOF
Original Poster

Thanks. Palms Cliff does look gorgeous, but I think we want to stay closer to the park for some nightime forays. I'm looking forward to checking out the good suggestions I've already received - and still interested in more B&B suggestions for Kohala/Waimea and the North Shore of Kauai!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:38 AM

The Kilauea Lodge is probably the nicest place to stay in Volcano. Be sure to make dinner reservations early as they get booked. I have noticed other posts about this lodge so do a search on the name if you want more info.