Question re Airtrain Newark

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling by myself from the UK to New York arriving at Newark Airport. Is the Airtrain to Penn Street Station an easy option to use or do you recommend a shared shuttle to my hotel which is near Times Square.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM

The AirTrain is an easy option - you take the AirTrain to the Airport train station, and then change to a train to New York Penn Station. Note there is also a Newark Penn Station --- do NOT get off there!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Yes, the Airtrain is easy unless you have heavy luggage. There are two train optins from the airport station to NYC==
AMTRAK and NJ transit. Although they are on the same track and make the same stops, AMTRAK is much more expensive.

The shared shuttles, especially Supershuttle, are not a good choice in the NYC area if you have another choice. They often travel very circuitous routes to get to their destination. A 30-40 minute trip could take 2 hours!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM

If you are going to the Times Square area, you might take the Olympia Bus instead. It goes directly from Newark Airport to the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 41st St and 8th Ave--no changing from AirTrain to train to subway.

DO NOT tae the Supershuttle.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great information. The Oympia Bus was not an option I was aware of. I will take your advice and not consider the shuttles.
ellenem: do I have to pre book the Oympia Bus or would I be able to just hop on.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Just hop on, though you may have to buy your ticket inside the airport terminal. Look for signs for ground transportation. You can also purchase online. I believe you just get a ticket that's good on any bus with available seats. Here's the link:

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp