Question for Maui Residents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

36 days and counting until our trip to Maui! I can hardly stand the anticipation! I'm now beginning to think of all the little nitty gritty questions. For those of you who live and dine around Maui, I have a question for you. Will I need to bring a wrap for impossibly cold air-conditioned restaurants? Or will I want to eat every meal outside in the beautiful weather? It seems like here in the midwest every establishment strives to be colder than every other, requiring me to take a sweater even on 90+ degree days! Will I have this problem? Thanks so much for all the help you've given me over the past few months. Jan
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:12 AM

I use a wrap at night many times, not because of AC, but rather because it can be cool at night. I will often carry a nice batik or a pashmina just in case. Most restaurants are open with lanai seating or large shutters that create a lania feel when they are opened all around. You might ned a wrap for Safeway. That store is freezing.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 03:29 PM

You might ned a wrap for Safeway. That store is freezing.

LOL Oh God is THAT the truth! What is up wit dat? Kahului not too bad but Kihei is like the North Pole!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:28 PM

LOL, exactly how much room would that wrap take in your luggage??? take the wrap, and ask another question that might actually affect your visit. Sorry to sound so harsh, but I'm thinking a wrap takes up , hmmmm, maybe a small side pocket of a carry on
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:58 PM

I have never, ever been to a restaurant in Maui (or any other island for that matter) that I thought was so cold, I needed anything more than the shirt I was wearing.

If you're concerned about outdoor temps, AccuWeather is a good site to check if you want the history of a particular area. You can go back a year and also see average temps for a particular month/day.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the honest answers. WhistlerAl, methinks you are a man who might not understand???? I have already asked many important (to me) questions on this board and have been given honest (sometimes brutally) answers. If I don't have to take a wrap, it leaves room for other things in my luggage. That's all.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:10 PM
gyppielou

But of course a woman understands! - a maybe uneeded wrap---vs. the shoe dilemna! Room in our luggage for hiking shoes, pristine white sneakers, reef shoes, walking sandals, flipflops, casual pretty sandals, dressy with heel sandals,,,,,,that's 7 shoes without even tryin'.......so yes you really do need that wrap, or fleece, or jacket, or sweatshirt, or sweater or whatever you can come up with that will be ok for many conditions........something that is comfortable with all of your shoes!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks here today and gyppielou!! Yes, the shoe dilemna is almost killing me! I'm thinking of 8 pairs as I write this and am trying to coordinate outfits so that I can cut down on the shoes! Maybe I should just take a carryon and buy the stuff there!! LOL. Seriously, I'm so appreciative of all the great advice I've received on this board. You are all wonderful!
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 10:32 AM

My husband calls me Imelda. I have more shoes than I care to count. What do I wear, nearly everyday? What will I be wearing today for a client meeting? My Locals slippahs from Long's Drugs. Seriously, loose the shoes. You'll never miss them.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Well, here today--yet again you have put it in perspective for me. Thanks. A couple of pairs of neutral sandals and some Tevas ought to do it. Right? We plan to do only a couple of "dressy" nights out. Oops--and I'll need my golf shoes, too. That should be enough.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:10 PM

nanajan... a/c in a restaurant in Maui is almost impossible to find! we just spent 16 nights in Hawaii, 9 of them in Maui, we were asking for restaurants with a/c because it was so hot, we went to Spago, andeven there, ther is a/c inside but it is all open to the outdoor dining area, so it was not cold inside, not evem the slightest bit chilly.
you will be having dinner outdoors most evenings, so I would worry about it too much,
if anything you'll need a wrap if the tradewinds are strong, but not from a/c...
- this was my experience......