Question about using free airtran tickets after denied boarding

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A family member was bumped from an Airtran flight and received compensation of two free roundtrip tickets. I read somewhere that she cannot use one of these to bring a friend. She called Airtran and asked but felt like the woman she spoke to didn't know what she was talking about, even though the answer was yes.

Does anyone have any experience with such a situation?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Airtran just went out of business, so I'm not sure what your options are now.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Are you sure Airtran and ATA are the same airline?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM

I don't think AirTran and ATA are the same airline. ATA has a website saying they are out of business. AirTran has an active website. Good Luck!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM

AirTran (formerly ValueJet) is based in Atlanta.

American Trans Air was based in Indianapolis.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM

1. AirTan and ATA are not the same airline. It si ATA that is out of business, not AirTan
2. When she was bumped she probably received vouchers, not actual tickets. The vouchers are exchanged for tickets. Not sure but suspect that they have a number on them so they can be used to book online online.
3. She can use the second ticket for whomever she pleases. Once the vouchers are redeemed for tickets, the tickets cannot be transferred to a person other than the one whose name is on the ticket.
4. The way things are going, use them ASAP because if the airline does go belly up they turn into toilet paper.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Oops! Sorry - I thought they were the same.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. She will confirm with Airtran and book a trip ASAP!
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM

We took a voluntary bump recently (different airline) and were told that the vouchers can be used by anyone. Once the tickets are issued, however, they cannot be changed.

I think I'm repeating Seamus' info, but I just wanted to verify that it is the same as I was recently told.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM

I would contact the airlines, and tell them you want a refund on your credit card, with the airlines going out of business, and I think this airlines went belly up- you want the money. Be demanding.

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Travelattorney - good luck with that!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:20 AM

travelatt...Do you travel often, or just read about it?? Please post a link indicating how I can demand a refund when a flight is oversold? Last I looked, the airlines posted notices that they did in fact overbook flights.And effectively, you had no recourse.Flying tiwce a week, guess I have missed something."Be demanding"??? Thats weak, dude.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM

Bunch of misinformation - AGAIN!

Overbooking is allowed. There is nothing, anywhere that forbids airlines from overbooking, PERIOD.

The difference is, how was the passenger bumped?

1. Involuntary/denied boarding bump - That's when the airline choses the passenger and denies boarding against the passenger's wishes.

The pay-off - The airline has to make any and all effort to put the passenger on the next available flight to destination. Depending on how long the layover is, the passenger is entitled to meal voucher and a phone card. If it's an overnight layover, the airline has to provide accomodations. On top of all of the above, the airline has to pay cash to the passenger. I believe it's ~$200 for domestic flights.

The above is not an option, it's regulated.

2. Voluntary bump - that's when a passenger volunteers to get bumped off the flight.

The payoff - Anything and everything the airline and the passenger agree to. Since this is done voluntarily, there are no regulations as to how the passenger should be compensated. If the passenger agrees to 2 R/T tickets in hers/his name only, then the passenger will have to live with that deal. At the same time if the passenger and the airline agree to a $1000 voucher and a guaranteed 1st class seat on the next flight, then obviously it's a great deal. (btw, these type of deals hardly ever happen anymore as many passengers are willing to settle for a lot less).

Word of warning: If you volunteer, make sure you're getting a voucher, not a ticket.

Accepting a ticket is a bad idea. The tickets come with many restrictions, blackout dates, and possibly with passenger restriction.

Voucher is like cash. You buy a ticket on any flight, at any time, and only then you apply the voucher towards the purchase price. The only restrictions I can think of are: 1 year expiration date and usually can only be used on the issuing airline. That's it.

Reporting from Kabul.