Reload this Page >

Question about the World Cup

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:29 AM
giorgio

Why do Brazilian soccer players use only one name?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:42 AM
Shazam

A phony gimmick, nothing more.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:36 AM
Mike

Not just Brazillians, Maradona played for Argentina, not to be confused with Madonna, an American pop star who ironically, also only uses one name. Probably all gimmicks, Bono, Cher, etc.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:40 AM
no

Yeah,like giorgio,mike,you know, cool people only use one name gt;)

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:50 AM
Ronaldhino

The Brazilians have style and flash unlike any other Soccer team. Remember Pele?
With that style comes the right to be known by only one name.
Think Sting.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:04 AM
Shazam Is

Now listen here Mr. Shazam: you can talk about Bono and you can talk about Sting, but once you start talkin' about Bozo you're cruisin' for a bruisin' mister bigshot!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:17 AM
giorgio

No offense, but given the quality of the answers, I'd say a simple "I have no idea" would suffice.

And Diego Maradona was never known as just "Maradona." If he were, how would we know his first name is "Diego"? (Duh.)

I, however, do agree with the objection re "Bozo."

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:33 AM
Sandy

Giorgio,

I read something on a web site that it's Brazilian custom for sports and entertainment personalities to go by only one name.

Additionally, I don't know if this is true or not, but last week during a World Cup broadcast, the ESPN announcers talked about the reason for the "one name" history in Brazil. A long time ago, soccer was once regarded as a sport of the lower class in Brazil. As it caught on, many of the Brazilian upper-class kids started playing it. So as not to embarass their families and those of their social class, they would play under a single name nickname, not their real name. Soccer eventually became a VERY popular sport in Brazil, played by all classes of people, but the one name tradition "stuck".

Again, I don't know if this is a true story or not, but it's kind of an interesting way to look at it.

Sandy

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:01 PM
pete

Sandy's story is more interesting than mine, but I think mine is accurate, according to a friend who lived and worked in Brazil.

Everyone in Brazil goes by a single name, not just sports stars. It just happens to be the tradition there.

So, you could be the president of a major company, and you'd still be known by one name, which might be part of your real name or a nickname you picked up as a child.

I've never heard how it started. Anyone who's from Brazil says, "That's just how it is."

I still like Sandy's story better.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:58 PM
yyy

Single names are cool. But less than that is even cooler.

Very truly yours,

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:05 PM
IAM

What if two or more people had the same first name? Would the be known as Jose 1, Jose2, etc? Maybe first name and 1st letter of last name?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:10 PM
Shazam

I'm sorry, Bozo. You didn't deserve my vitriol. You have brought me such joy in my life. Sorry.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:12 PM
al

Wasn't there a situation like that with one of the Asian speedskating teams at the Olympics? Can't remember their names but they were something-something A and something-something B.

Anybody remember this?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:31 PM
suzanne

Yes, one of the speedskating teams (China?) had an issue...two of the female skaters had exacly the same first AND last name, so they added an initial at the beginning to designate who was the elder and who was the younger.