Question about hotel charges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Vegas for several days staying at the Flamingo. On the day we checked out their computers did not work, so I left my home address asking them to mail the invoice. Later it took only 2 e-mails to finally get them to mail it. Surprise - they charged me for water! Not the tab water, there were 2 bottles of water on the counter when we came and when we left, we did not touch them, anyway they've charged us for one.

Of course $3 not a big deal, but I think I'm lucky it was just a bottle of water... what if they would decide to charge me for something else? Remote? Bed cover? I remember somebody on this forum complained he was charged for a hanger. Is there a list of things which supposed to be in a room? How do I know there should've been only 2 bottles of water left for me, not 3?

And the main thing: what can I do in the future to avoid charges like this one?
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:07 PM
GoTravel

In the future, go by the front desk for a copy of your guest folio.

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:10 PM

I agree with you, ultimately, it's what if they charge for this and that??? There really is no safeguard, the best you could hope for is to make them check the room during your check-out before you sign any invoices. As we all know that is not a possibility every time you check-out. Fortunately, most hotels don't do that kind of stuff, and I'm surprised that the Flamingo did it.
It looks to me like room service helped themselves to few items. I'm sure if you contact Flamingo and explain the situation, they will adjust the bill. Is it right? no. Is there a 100% way of avoiding this in the future? no.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I would call them and ask them to remove the charge. Also, review the hotel bill meticulously every time you stay in a hotel. I worked in the event planning industry for a while and almost every single hotel bill I ever recieved had at least one wrong charge on it. Most hotels will remove a charge for you if they don't have some kind of proof (a signed receipt, etc.). It's always worth a try!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Just got an e-mail from accounts receivable at Park Place Entertainment - in reply to my question posted to their website - a credit is posted to my credit card account.

I think I should be ready for future discrepancies
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Vegas hotels are having a really hard time these days. They charge "energy surcharges" and "phone surcharges" and "cancellation surcharges" and everything else you can think of.

And they charge you just for LOOKING at the water bottles, even if you don't drink.