Reload this Page >

Query re searching on this board

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:11 AM
Doug Weller

At the moment message 21 (in the complete list) has the word Boston inthe subject line.

But searching on Boston doesn't bring it up.

Is this typical?
Thanks.
Doug

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:28 AM
Owen O'Neill

In the past this was not a typical experience but it has been for me lately. I was trying to repost to a thread entitled "Where is the really good coffee?". I tried every possible variation of the phrase (including the exact phrase and selecting the search option to search by exact phrase only). Still no results. When I entered only the word coffee I still had no luck. By chance the thread resurfaced a few days later and I was able to post (by the way... you must try the coffee from Caffe Torrefazione - it's incredible!). I'm thinkiing this may be a temprary glitch in the search function (sure hope so). Either that or perhaps threads have to be of a certain age or far back enough that they're archived before they can be accessed by search? Anyone else have ideas to offer on this?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:31 AM
Lenore

I have never been able to successfully find a particular topic using the search either. I even clicked on the help icon and followed the instuctions, but without any luck. I thought it was just me.....apparently not!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:28 PM
Faina

It's my impression that when I'm doing the research it's looking for the word in the body of the message, not in the topic, not in the name of the post. But then, who am I to judge

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:44 PM
ruby

I thought it was just me also

There is so much traffic on this board that it was almost impossible to keep up if none responded to it.

I even wrote down the exact title of the post I wrote. When I did a search it is nowhere to be found (and that is only days later)

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:02 PM
Pat

Owen:
I am the original poster for the "Good Coffee" search. Where or what is Caffe Torrefazione?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:42 PM
Doug Weller

Just tried searching on Boston (which is in my first post which started this thread).
This thread didn't come up. Didn't come up when I entered searching either.

Doug

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
Ellen

Yes, Doug, I'm afraid it's typical. Fodors in its wisdom has chosen an indexing system that doesn't update automatically. At times, it has been several WEEKS behind the actual posts.