QueenMab's Northern-Central California Trip Report 7/24-7/31

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We left Corvallis around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday and drove pretty much straight through to San Francisco, with just bathroom and snack breaks. The kids enjoyed stopping in Weed and seeing the famous sign that shows "Weed" in one direction and "College" in the other! We played CDs loud and all sang along and no one got carsick. We hit some traffic in the East Bay but it wasn't bad; found the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero easily, and Kelly found a parking spot on the street just a few blocks away that was free through Monday morning! That was great since the hotel charged $38/day for parking. Friends had made an 8:30 dinner reservation at the Market Bar, and we pretty much had to walk over there as soon as we had checked in and gotten settled. Market Bar was very good and priced accordingly. We spent $190 on dinner for 4, which was the most we spent the whole trip. The hotel was very nice and a steal for the $70/night we had gotten through Priceline. Our only complaint is that they didn't have a swimming pool.

Sunday morning we walked down to the water, had breakfast at Pier 1 Deli, and strolled down to Fisherman's Wharf. Kelly had to go into the NFL store and visit the sea lions; the girls wanted to go into the fairy shop, and then we were mercifully done with FW. We took the Polk-Fulton cable car from there to Union Square. The girls and I made the mistake of sitting inside, and when it filled up, it was hard to see. Kelly stood outside at the back so he took all the pictures. It was very cool going up and down the steep hills and watching the guy stop it with the big hand brake! We walked around Union Square and Chinatown for a bit, and then went back to hotel to shed our sweatshirts because it was so warm and sunny! From there we took the 7 Haight bus to Golden Gate Park and visited the newly renovated Conservatory of Flowers, which was as always beautiful. The girls saw a lot of cool looking shops on Haight Street and wished we could have shopped there. We also passed a lot of pretty "painted ladies" while on the bus. For dinner, we went to North Beach and wandered around aimlessly for a while. Finally settled on Calzone's, which got mixed reviews from our party. I wished I had gotten a recommendation ahead of time for that area.

Monday morning we drove to Berkeley to visit the UC botanical garden. I used to go there for lunch many years ago when I worked on campus, so I wanted to see it again. It is a wonder, with a huge variety of plants from all over the world. We spent two hours there and didn't see it all! Then we went to Telegraph Ave and spent hours in Amoeba and Rasputin Records searching through the used CDs. Did a little more shopping and then took the girls onto campus but they seemed unimpressed (or maybe were just tired). We found a wonderful Japanese restaurant on Shattuck called Ichiban--great sushi!

It took just under two hours to drive from Berkeley to Monterey via I-880 and CA 17. Unfortunately it was dark by then so we didn't get to see the Santa Cruz hills or the coast that evening. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Monterey ($50 on Priceline). The grounds were nice but the hotel was right on Hwy 1, and there was a lot of traffic noise and no air conditioning. It was fine for a stopover, but I wouldn't stay there for a vacation.

The next day we started out at Pt. Lobos State Reserve. It was overcast, cool, and windy but beautiful--we saw mama and baby otters, seals, whales, and pelicans, beautiful rocky coastline, a jade green cove, gnarled Monterey Cypress. We walked two of the trails and could have spent a lot longer but we had other spots to visit. At Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park we hiked to a waterfall through redwoods--it was kind of disappointing as we have lots of nice falls very nearby home and the trail was very crowded with people. Then we found our way to Pfeiffer Beach. This is down an unmarked road and it used to be very isolated and empty. Now there is a huge parking lot and a fee to enter and lots of people. But it is still a spectacular beach with huge rocks cut through by the water. By then it was warm and sunny and the water was sparkling blue. Kelly and I walked down the beach and into the woods a little; the girls just wanted to sit. We picked up sandwiches at one of the little grocery/deli's in Big Sur and had a picnic lunch and then drove on down to San Luis Obispo. The drive was gorgeous as always. I am in love with that stretch of coastline. Next time I go back, I want to spend a few days or even a week just in Big Sur.

Second installment coming up....
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Our bed & breakfast in San Luis Obispo was called Le Petit Soleil. They have taken a motel and transformed it, with each room individually decorated, a lovely breakfast room and outdoor courtyard. The rooms were very pretty and comfortable (great beds!), with lots of extras like turn-down service with truffles each night, wine-tasting and snacks each afternoon, robes, cd players, and a delicious full breakfast every morning. There was some traffic noise as it is on a main street, but it quieted down by bedtime. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and we all thoroughly enjoyed staying there.

Wednesday we walked around downtown SLO and shopped. We spent a long time in Boo Boo Records buying even more CDs. They had crates in the back of 3/$1 CDs that no one had ever heard of, so we just had to buy some interesting ones and check them out. Our great find was a CD by a Kentucky band called King Kong that totally cracked us up, especially the song in which he runs out of gas in Nevada and dies along the roadside! We bought gigantic sandwiches at Cisco's and ate them by the creek--they have really done a nice job of landscaping and decorating there.

We took the girls to see the Cal Poly campus, where I went to school for 3 years. Somehow, I didn't recognize anything! I don't know if it has changed a lot or I've lost my memory, but it was pretty strange! At least when we drove by the houses I lived in, I recognized them! We had dinner at Corner Café which was reasonable and very good. I had a "chocotini" (crème de cacao, rum, and Bailey's) that was like a dessert--yum!

Thursday we went to Montana de Oro State Park in Los Osos. I have fond memories of the trails and beaches there, and it is as beautiful as ever. We first hiked the Coon Creek Trail up into the hills. I love the golden hills dotted with oaks and the smell of the chapparal. We had lunch in Baywood Park which is really tiny--I think it would be nice to stay at the inn on the bay there--and then went back to Montana de Oro to play on the beach at Spooner's Cove. It was very warm and sunny and Kelly and the girls went swimming, but I only waded in partway. We relaxed and soaked up the sun and blew bubbles that went way up into the sky before popping. Around 6:30 we headed back to check out the SLO farmer's market. It was quite a scene--tons of people, street performers, food booths, political booths, all permeated by the smell of barbeque. The lines for the bbq were all gigantic, so we bought desserts and fruit (plucots--cross between a plum and an apricot--were the big hit) and then went to a Chinese place for dinner.

Friday we drove from SLO to Santa Rosa. We decided to go through the East Bay rather than San Francisco, but I don't think the traffic could have been any worse taking 101. We were in stop and go traffic from Mountain View pretty much all the way to Santa Rosa! UGH! It took forever. Fortunately we had by this time LOTS of music, snacks and drinks, and everyone was good-natured about it, but I was fried by the time we got to the hotel (I had foolishly chosen the afternoon driving shift!). We stayed at the Hilton Sonoma County in Santa Rosa because we were having dinner with an old friend who lives in Forestville. It was pretty nice but the rooms in our building either faced the freeway or the parking lot. If you were staying for a vacation, I'd recommend the poolside buildings. The next day we headed home from Santa Rosa, not realizing that it would take 2 hours of winding through the mountains to get to I-5. It was beautiful country, though, and I'd like to go back when I have time to appreciate it. We pulled into Corvallis around 10:30 p.m., tired but happy. It was a delightful trip: great company, great scenery, great food, great weather! I love visiting California--there is always something new to see and do--and look forward to going back again. But when it's time to go home, I'm glad I live in Oregon.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:14 PM

QueenMab, Enjoyed reading your trip report.

Baywood Park's 2 inns, The Back Bay Inn and The Baywood B&B, are hidden gems that we always recommend to friends coming to visit the area (if our guestroom is full)!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Sounds like a good trip! BTW...we love Corn Valley Headed back for the homecoming game with friends in a couple months.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Glad you enjoyed our beautiful state, Queen Mab! Were you able to do any wine tasting in the Santa Rosa area? We did a show there in March and used Healdsburg as a home base.

We stayed at the Hotel Healdsburg,www.hotelhealdsburg.com and absolutely loved it! Next time you may want to consider a stay in the Sonoma area. The Sonoma Mission Inn is a gorgeous property. We try to stay there at least once or twice a year.

Did you get my e-mail about the beach cottage? ***kim***
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

kim - I didn't get your email. I wonder what happened. Can you please send it again, if it isn't too much trouble?

I definitely would like to spend some time in Sonoma County. The Russian River area looked gorgeous, as did the hills we passed through to get to I-5. And then of course there's the wine...

So many places to see and way too little time to travel!