Search

Quantas Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quantas Upgrade

Hello,
I'm a newbie so please excuse my silly question to all of you world travelers.
I recently was able to use our AA miles to fly coach to and from Melbourne. AU in November. We worked very hard at saving those miles as I'm sure many of you do. We are VERY EXCITED!!!
Question... We are celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary on this trip (I'm one lucky lady) and was wondering if Quanta's ever gives a free upgrade to Business for the flight for our very SPECIAL occasions? Someone said to ask them but I'm sort of embarrassed to ask. Would any of you know if this is possible?
Thank you,
Sharon
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 01:07 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to Fodor's!

First, this is the US forum and your question should be asked on the Airlines forum.

Second, there's no "U" in Qantas.

Third, no, never. Upgrades on Qantas flights are never free, and damned hard to come by even for elite members of Qantas' frequent flyer program willing to spend many thousands of their accumulated points to do so. Qantas is among the stingiest airlines for upgrades. If you want to ride up front, Qantas makes you pay the price. Sorry.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 01:12 PM

Sorry, you are dreaming. Free upgrades to Business Class "for special occasions" on Qantas, or any other airline for that matter, isn't going to happen. Quite frankly that only happens in the movies or on an old episode of Seinfeld.

Even frequent fliers with "elite status" don't get upgrades without using FF miles or FF Segment Certificates to "pay" for their upgrade.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 01:36 PM

And you're also using AA miles to get a Qantas flight, not Qantas points, which means they're less inclined to upgrade you.

Qantas is an acronym = Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service.

Now, depending upon which plane you'll be on, the Qantas flight may not be that bad. The Airbus 380s actually have decent room and a ton of entertainment options and enough TimTams to fill New Hampshire. The fact that the Aussies make TimTams offsets their manufacture of Vegemite.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 05:50 PM

It might be enough to get you a special benefit at the hotel - perhaps some flowers or chocolates or a bottle of wine. But you have to ask, very nicely at check in, is if they have anything special for an anniversary and let them offer to do it for free or low cost.