Reload this Page >

Public transportation in D.C

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:20 PM
ar

Thinking of possibly moving to D.C. I currently live in downtown Chicago were a car is not needed. What area here does not require a car. I would like a very vibrant area with many restaurants and bars all within a short walking distance also easy access to subways. What type of place could I buy within the 300-350,000 range? I currently live in a loft and love it.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:24 PM
houser

www.longandfoster.com

They have housing listings in the area. I suggest VA, not MD. Arlington is a great area, close to the Metro (just a few stops from the City). Good nightlife, and a plentitude of restaurants.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:37 PM
huh

If you live in downtown Chicago, I wouldn't recommend Arlington to you: 'burbs to the max.

Having lived in Wash., and if I were moving back, I'd probably consider the Connecticut Ave. area near the zoo and Rock Creek Park. Lots of shops and restaurants and close to the Metro line, which would satisfy your no-car transportation needs.

It's been a while, but I'd guess for $300K-350K you could get a nice condo in the area.

There probably are other areas people might recommend, but I think the Ct. Ave area is one consideration.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Essvie

I have lived here without a car for years and love it!

I agree with the person who suggested Conn. Avenue area - Dupont Circle, Woodley Park or Cleveland Park sound like what you are looking for. Look at Adams Morgan if you are willing to walk a bit to the metro or take buses instead. Also the area around U Street metro has become really vibrant in the last few years.

For $350,000 you should be able to find a 2 BR condo. Lofts are not that common in DC, but I have seen a few new loft buildings here and there. Good luck with your search.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Christina

I live in DC and agree with Arlington if you want to live outside the city, or Old Town, Alexandria. Within the city almost anything in NW area will do, metro stops are a little sparse in some residential areas with more houses in upper NW, but there aren't apts or condos there much, anyway.

I lived on Capitol Hill for a while (worked near l'Enfant Plaza) and I liked it very much. I lived in the nicer part close to the Supreme Court, and I was within walking distance of two metros (Union Station and Capitol South, even Eastern Market wasn't far). I had a car which was a little nuisance to park, so it would have been better without it, actually. So it meets your criteria but doesn't really have the variety of good restaurants and bars as some other areas, that's true. It does have some, however.

I think the upper Connecticut Ave area or Dupont Circle areas are also good. Georgetown is feasible if you get a place near Rock Creek Park around P-R Sts as that is not too bad a walk to the Dupont Circle metro (I have a friend on Q St with a nice condo in that area). Otherwise, Georgetown is sort of a pain because no metro and it's too young over near the university. It's probably cheaper but I would not buy or live in the U St metro area myself. It's still pretty dicey as far as I'm concerned (and I think will be for a long time) and not nearly as attractive as these other areas. Logan Circle is another area where I think there are some lofts and it has gotten better than it used to be (not as quickly as was predicted 10 yrs ago), but it's not top for transportation convenience.