Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Oahu on Sunday ...7 yr old and mom..any tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:36 AM
kristen

Restaurants...beaches...attractions? Any advice from people who have been recently would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:43 AM
sss

The Oceanarium in Waikiki. Three story fish tank you can look into while you eat. Food is so so but worth the view.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Melissa

I understand the aquarium has some new critters, too! That is located across Kapiolani Park.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Susan

My kids loved the aquarium in Kapiolani Park, on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. There are also free hula shows there in the Waikiki Shell. Another BIG hit was Hanauma Bay! My kids couldn't really master the snorkeling, but just wading into the water you have fish swimming all around you.

If you will have a car you could dine at Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch and Crab. A fun and noisy place for kids with good food and a big lobster tank.

For an adventuresome kid, you could drive over to Kailua (Windward side), rent a kayak and paddle around Kailua Bay. The beaches over there, Kailua and Lanikai, are beautiful, uncrowded, and the waves are perfect for little kids. Have fun!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:11 AM
kristen

How nice of you guys to respond so quickly! Great tips.
Thanks so much!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:36 AM
byron

Your seven-year old will enjoy the fun right there at Waikiki Beach. There are other beaches but we still do Waikiki when we can.

The Pali lookout gives you a great view of the windward side. A drive around the island might be fun. You and your mom would enjoy the Polynesian Cultural Center. There are activities your seven-year old would enjoy but staying for the night show might be too much. I think they offer a day only package.

Go to Hanauma Bay early. Once the parking lot is filled it is closed off.