Public Transit in San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Craig

Hi Everyone!
I currently live in NYC where I'm sure you know, it is quite easy to get around using public transit using Subways and Buses.
I'm thinking about a move to San Diego (In the central area, either downtown or adjoining communities).
Is it possible to get by there without a car, using the trolly and buses? (both for daytime getting around and night time entertainment).
I would specially appreciate input from people that live there or who have spent alot of time there and have extensively used the system...
Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:56 PM
KenCT

I'm sure you know that southern California is a car culture, and mass transit leaves a lot to be desired. Nevertheless I visit regularly and rarely rent a car. The busses and trolleys can take you pretty much where you want to go in the center city area. The trolleys are faster, but they service only a limited area. The busses seem to take forever, as they sometimes do in NYC.

For example, I regularly stay in the Hillcrest-University area and like to visit friends near Mission Beach. It takes me well over an hour, and a switch of busses at the Old Town Transit Center, to get there, and about fifteen minutes when they drive me back.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:52 AM
x

i'd say you need a car. going there for a week or two and using public transport or bikes is fine but if living there, you will be severly restricted relying on public transport especially in the evenings. the freeway system is really good there and they don't get the big traffic james that l.a. gets. plus, one of the great things about san diego is travelling around to surrounding areas on the weekends - mexico, palm springs, vegas, l.a., skiing - so a car would definitly come in handy.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:55 AM
x

I can't imagine living in San Diego (or anywhere in So Cal) without a car. Vacationing is one thing, but day to day life requires a car.

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Craig

Thanks for the interesting comments! Well, I was figuring living either downtown or mission valley or possible "uptown" (like hillcrest, normal hgts, northpark) based on doing some "trip planning" on the SD Transit web site, it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to get around to the various central communities (like pacific beach, mission beach, lajolla, downtown, uptown, balboa park, etc) using the trolly and connecting busses. I will be retired, so won't be commutting. Would use it mostly for daytime getting around and some nightime entertainment. Of course, you can get to places like palm springs or vegas by using busses or rail (of course you would want to stay over a few days with that)....And I would think I would occassionally rent a car to take "a trip"....Glad to hear that the freeways are good and that they don't have the traffic jams of LA. But how are the drivers? I've heard they are pretty wild, or is that just a myth? And what do you think of my scenario regarding using the public transit?

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:35 AM
xx

Asking a Californian, or even narrowing it down to a San Diegan, to pry our hands free from our steering wheels is just too much. We really can't grasp the concept of permanently doing without our cars.

That said, I visited SD without a car for a weekend and did just fine. We were staying at a place near Seaport Village which also put us within walking distance of the Gaslamp District and very near a trolly stop which allowed us to visit old town. We thought the trolly was very good for getting around.

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:35 AM
xxx

San Diego's freeway traffic is horrible. Just head out to the 5 freeway any afternoon and you'll be sitting on road for a long time.

If you're a gay man, Hillcrest will be fine, but if not, it's not the area for a straight retired man to reside.

There are no rail systems to Las Vegas and buses and rail are not typical modes of transportation in Southern California. So you may want to rethink your ideas about public transportation in San Diego (it's nothing like the East Coast!)

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Eileen

Craig,

I was transferred to San Diego from New York City about a year ago for my job. I am amazed at how much time I spend in my car - I was so accustomed to taking the subway or walking to any place I needed to go. I sincerely think you will need to rent a car, at least for part of your trip. It will be well worth it and cost less than taking a taxi everywhere (taxis are not as readily avaliable in the street here as in New York- you have to call them).

Any other questions about visiting, let me know - I'd be happy to help another NYer!

Eileen

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Craig

Hi Eileen!
Oh, and also thanks to the other posters as well...
Would like athe prospective from a fellow NY'er in San Diego... I am retiring in 2 years and was considering the move there. Presently living in Manhattan and have been carless for quite a few years. I was kind of hoping to get by there without one and occasionally rent one. I would probably live downtown or in Mission valley...areas that are supposed to be pretty accesible to the public transit.
Have you had much experience using the trolly and busses? How do you find them to be? Do you find San Diego had enough "things to do" for a NY'er? (lol)...Is Mission Valley a nice area to live and is it more city or suburban?
After spending some time there, how do you like living in San Diego as opposed to NY??? Also, since you do drive? how is traffic and the drivers there???

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Denise

I'm a native San Diegan who is moving to NYC. My advice....don't do it! You will suffer from EXTREME culture shock! You will miss the arts, the dining, the vibe! San Diego is not a city but a small town that is very laid back and conservative! Public transportation? Sucks!! It's very expensive and not readily available as in NYC. It takes up to 1-2 hours to get somewhere by bus that by car takes 10 minutes! You have to call taxis 20 minutes in advance! If you must move here, you'll need a car. Trust me. Rents have tripled in the last two years. Great areas to live are Hillcrest (if you are gay), Point Loma, South Park, Banker's Hill and Golden Hill. The saving grace is the weather-real mild. Stay in New York-its a great city. Hope this helped.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Craig

wow Denise...you have really given me something to think about! I knew it would not be quite like NYC but didn't realize the difference would be that drastic....Well, I had also been consideration to moving to South Fla, but there 2 you need a car and although there is alot of things to do, they are spread all over the place!
NY is great and it does spoil you...although I do have to say that I don't like the cold winters and it's very expensive to live in Manhattan unless you are fortunate enough like me to find a rent stabilized apt (and they are tough to find)....If you aren't lucky enough to find one and you don't have the big bucks you may wind up living in Brooklyn in Queens (although transit is of course, very good into Manhattan).....

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:42 PM
wendy

i moved from san diego to new york 2 years ago. it's true that the 2 cities are very different, but i wouldn't go as far as denise...who should think about moving back to NYC.

As for the car issue, I agree with everyone else: you MUST have one. Do not even think of moving to SD (or anywhere in CA) without one. I once had my car in the shop had had to take the bus to pick it up. 15 miles and 2 hours later, I made my boyfriend leave the office early to get me to the repair shop before it closed.

Otherwise, I think SD is a wonderful town. It's gorgeous, especially if you live near the ocean. The Gaslamp area is small, but is definitely lively.

If I were you, I'd try to spend some time there before moving. I don't know how willing you are to have a car, which may decide things for you. But, SD is one of very few places I'd consider moving to again if/when I ever leave NY.

Good luck.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Craig

Thanks Wendy, your view sounded a bit more hopeful! (lol). Well, I can see general concensus is...move to San Diego...car is a must! I just wonder though for a New Yorker as myself who unfortunately (or fortunately) is spoiled in that we are used to having alot to do....could a New Yorker be happy living in SD???

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:34 AM
x

had a friend move from ny to sd and he hated it due to lack of things to do in the evenings. it's more a place for people who like outdoor activities then cultural things. one inconvenience if found was going out for dinners. other then the gaslamp quarter, if you wanted to go out for dinner, you needed to do so by 8:00 p.m. cause a lot of restaurants close around 10:00. however, remember that l.a. is only 3 hours north by car (that you need) and san fran is a short and relatively cheap flight away for when you desire more cultural events.