Reload this Page >

Public Tran between SF and SJ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:32 PM
kelly

Does anyone know if there is any public transportation between San Francisco and San Jose? I will be staying in San Jose and trying to avoid renting a car if possible. Thanks!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Native

Hi Kelly,

Pretty obvious from you post that you have really researched this site before asking your question.

Here you go:

Taxi Cabs
Buses
Trains
Low Flying Aircaft
Thumbs Up
Water Wings

Native

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Susan

Hey Native, you are on a roll tonight! I noticed your reply to the parent of three going to Yosemite and Big Sur as well! ;-)

Kelly, the only way I know of to get from San Jose to San Francisco on public transport is via the train, www.caltrain.org.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:41 PM
kelly

Great, thanks Native, I would have never thought of water wings! The search was not pulling up anything for San Jose train or bus etc... I believe a taxi is going to be a tad expensive for me, but the train or bus may work.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:45 PM
kelly

Thanks for the link Susan, just what I was hoping to find!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:03 PM
James

Another easy option is to take a Valley Transit Authority (VTA) bus from SJ to Fremont BART, then BART to SF.

www.vta.org
www.bart.gov

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:30 PM
rrr

There is an airport to airport shuttle - I think United offers for a cheap cost - free if you are flying the airline. Can you skimp elsewhere for a car? You definately do not need a care for SF but for San Jose it would be nice. How long in each place? What are your plans? Oh, and ignore Native.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:43 PM
kelly

Thanks James and rrr! Those all seem like good options. Money isn't really the issue I was trying not to rent a car, but the fact that I haven't driven in almost 2 years and really don't know my way around SF very well, (will be alone) seemed like an accident waiting to happen!!! I will be staying with friends in San Jose who have a car, so SJ shouldn't be a problem, but they aren't available to go up to SF with me. Unfortunately this really isn't a vacation type trip, just going to get some business taken care of at the consulate so will only be in the area a few days. Thanks again for the info, even my friends in SJ didn't know much about the best way to go, as they usually just drive.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 02:59 PM
GGinSF

CalTrain is a resonably fast and comfortable ride, so that would be my first suggestion.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Faina

There was something on Caltrain web site about trains not running on weekends due to renovation. Kelly you may want to call them to confirm you'll be able to take a train (1,5 hours SJ to SF). If not, another option would be a bus from SJ to Fremont BART, there are express buses as well, and BART have several stops in the city in more convenient and safer areas.