Pt Reyes or Big Sur? Do you have a favorite ?

Feb 24th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Pt Reyes or Big Sur? Do you have a favorite ?

I made the mistake of looking at beautiful pictures of Pt Reyes from spirobulldog (thanks so much for sharing those!) I am now wondering which place would be nicer to visit this June? My initial plan was Yosemite (this is a must!), Big Sur and Monterey. I was pretty interested in the Aquarium in Monterey but again, Yosemite is the only thing set in stone. We will have 7 full days and were planning on staying 3 nights in Yosemite (arriving late afternoon or early evening in Yosemite on Sat from the airport and staying until Tuesday afternoon to then leave for our next destination which would, at this point, be Monterey or Big Sur ) . I got some great responses as to which airport to fly in and out of with Yosemite being the 1st stop and Monterey being the last stop before going home to St. Louis . Since I still have more time to plan, I am beginning to wonder if we should make Yosemite a middle stop (to stay mid week so we aren't in the weekend crowd.)
I know I won't go wrong with anything we choose ( I don't think I ever realized how gorgeous California really is!) but I thought I would get opinions of people who have been to both Pt Reyes and Big Sur and consider planning an itinerary around doing one of those 1st or last and putting Yosemite in between ..do you have a favorite? I do notice that Monterey is closer to Big Sur but would Pt Reyes top both of those all together?
P.S..we love hiking and I love taking pictures of interesting scenery. Thanks as always.
Feb 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM

I would stick with Big Sur. It really is astoundingly gorgeous. Pt. Reyes is beautiful but in a much different way. I consider Big Sur "breathtaking." There is much to do in the Monterey/Carmel area and Big Sur is in the same vicinity. Include Point Lobos in your plans and you will not regret it. Perhaps you could see Pt. Reyes on your next trip instead.
Feb 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Big Sur is closer to Yosemite and Monterey, so to avoid excessive driving time, stick to Big Sur on this trip.
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Big Sur/Carmel/Monterey.

Stu Dudley
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much...I agree that I have to be realistic and fit what is closest. I know I will love every second of the trip!
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Darn, I knew I should have gone south instead of north. lol.
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM

I always caution visitors to the California coast in summer, especially June, to be prepared for cool weather and foggy days. Sometimes it clears by mid-day, sometimes not. Just so you know... (and that would apply to either Big Sur/Carmel/Monterey or Point Reyes)
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM

I love love love Pt Reyes, but have to agree that Big Sur trumps it. Absolutely stunning.