Providence,RI to Cape Cod(Chatham)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am renting a car in Providence,RI and driving to Chatham in Cape Cod.Is there a scenic route that I could take,at least part of the way.
Would appreciate some suggestions.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM

Funny, I have lived on the South Shore of MA for 32 years now and I am not sure if there is a "scenic route". You could take a longer route and visit Boston for a bit and then drive down to the Cape fairly easily... but it is longer and more time consuming. More of a full and tiring day.

What I can tell you is this:
When you drive on Cape Cod (after the canal) the main "highway" is Route 6. This will get you to most Cape destinations the quickest. If you take Route 6A instead, however, you will see what we call the "Old Cape". More of the character of each small town and more of the unique stops the Cape was once known for. Even homeowners who live along 6A are obligated to follow strict regulations issued by the historical societies. Again, it is a slower drive, but quite possibly a more relaxing and enjoyable one.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:21 AM

Yes, 6A is the scenic route once you get on the Cape.

Between Providence and the Cape, there are several scenic areas:

Between Sakonnet, RI and Westport, MA
Between Westport Point, MA through Padanaram, MA to New Bedford
Marion and Mattapoisett, MA

These are all off the interstate and would turn your trip into a long though rewarding day if you also drive down route 6A.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:18 AM

Although Chatham is on Rt 28, do not be tempted to take it instead of Rt 6, which will get you there in the least amount of time, or 6A which will allow you to meander through the villages on the Bay side. Rt 28 is a very commercial road with less than exciting scenery and more stop and go traffic due to the number of malls along the way. Besides, I believe Rt 28 in South and west Chatham will be undergoing some construction this fall as part of a sewering project.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Good info,I will try the suggested routes.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM

You can take route 6A once on the Cape. From 6A you can back track to Chatham on route 28 from Orleans and drive past pretty Pleasant Bay. This route will bring you into N. Chatham and then Chatham Village. You can also take this scenic drive if you get off route 6 (not 6A) in Orleans, stop into Rock Harbor and then follow route 28 into N. Chatham.

The sewer project in West and South Chatham will be done 'piece meal' and if done anything like other phases of this project, won't tie up both sides of route 28.If you follow the 2 routes I suggested, you will be on the other side of town from the road work. There's nothing scenic about route 28 from the bridges to South Chatham,imo.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Great!
Thank you.