Search

Providence?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Lori

Providence?

My husband and I are attending a wedding in Providence in July. We will be getting in late Friday night and the wedding is at 2:30 on Saturday afternoon. Any suggestions for something fun to do that morning of the wedding? We are staying at the Marriott downtown. Obviously a trip to Newport is out of the question.

Thanks

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:32 AM
walk

I think taking a long walk around the city would be the best use of your time. You can explore the "Riverwalk" area that winds along where the famous Waterfires are held. You can check out the mall and it's views. You can walk up College Hill and see Brown University and the trendy Thayer Street Area.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Mike

Obviously not Lori! You're in luck. We have done it before while staying in Providence and it's no more than 35-40 minutes by car(maybe less). I'd leave early to miss any beach crowd and have breakfast and stroll around while it's still cool and less congested. Do go and don't miss it!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 10:16 AM
chris

Lori,
Going to Newport for half a day isn't worth the hassle. You'd be a nervous wreck making the 45min - 1 hr trip then get back to Providence in time to dress and make it to the church. Save Newport for another time. Go with the first response. If nice weather just walk around Providence water-walk or Brown Univ. area. Chris

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:53 PM
Jane

Also planning to be in Providence, and hope to get to Newport for a day--how bad will the traffic be on a Saturday morning?
What is the closest beach or nice lake area to Providence?
One more thing--saw mention on other posts for Cafe Nuovo in downtown Providence, but the menu looks pricey to me--25-30 entrees at lunch?? Is that true? Are there other interesting, eclectic restaurants you can recommend, preferably $20 or less per entree for dinner?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:47 AM
ken

oso.com or projo.com should give you some ideas. Enjoy your time in Providence