Search

Proof of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proof of Ownership

Hello again! I forgot to ask about proof of ownership--we have a movie camera that we've lost the receipt to...what is the best way to satisfy customs when travelling overseas/Europe? Notorized statement--or? anyone have a tip?
And speaking of tipping...in France/Paris/Rome/Montreux...what's a good rule of thumb, especially in a high/expensive resturant? And how do they feel about doggie bags...to de classe?
Appreciate any advise you guys can lend us.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:19 PM

A movie camera you already own? you don't need anything - I travel to Europe with my 35mm, my idiot proof 35mm digital and sometimes my video camera, - no one asks me where I got them - or where I bought my jewlery or anythign else I have with me -

I can not address the doggie bags, since I never did that while in Europe - tipping, etc you should search and or post it on the European Forum instead of the US Forum.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Maybe I've been staying in the wrong places but I think you'd be lucky to find a hotel room in Europe with a refrigerator to store the doggie bag contents!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM

We've never been asked to prove ownership of cameras, electronics or jewelry.

Is your camera so brand new that they might think you bought it on vacation? If so, maybe you could slightly scuff up some non-esential area so it looks less new.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:54 AM
J62

There is no need to 'scuff up' a camera. Customs agents at US borders aren't concerned about personal cameras, and the customs check upon arrival in Europe is even less formal - you walk out the green exit door for 'nothing to declare' along with every other traveler.

You aren't the first person to travel with a camera.

Regarding doggie-bags, it is no problem to ask for left-overs as take away. I do it all the time, as I've observed many others at low cost and high end restaurants alike.

If you have an apartment with fridge, leftovers make a good next-day meal.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:44 AM

At least in Paris, forget the doggie bags. Taking leftover food with you is just not done...
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Taking unfinished food with you is not done anywhere I have been in England, France, Spain, Italy, or Croatia. It isn't declasse; it is just unthinkable. I think you would have a hard time even explaining the concept to most people. Partly, too, it is a matter of portion size. You are just not given as much food as in the US; even my wife, a light eater, usually cleans her plate.

On the other hand -- and this is not a joke -- it is not uncommon in France to see people giving bits of food to their dog under the table.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM

One of the reasons that doggie bags are not popular in europe is that portions are considerably smaller than in the US - and people generally eat what they are given.

We have them here since portions are so massive many people can;t finish them. To have enough food left over in europe to need a doggy bag you will problably have to order extra courses - thus defeating the purporse.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:58 AM

o Download this form: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...t/cbp_4457.pdf

o Print it.

o Fill it out.

o Get it stamped when you leave the U.S.

o Keep it with the camera.

o Have a nice trip.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
OO

We were asked to prove ownership of my husband's Canon camera...not even a new one, when we were returning from Cayman. We didn't have proof of ownership and were detained for some time as we argued the fact that we'd owned it...for several years even. We eventually won out, but that Customs person was a total idiot about it. We had bought an expensive watch on the same trip, but fortunately had claimed it for customs purposes!! It seems to me there is a declaration form you can get before your trip if you are worried about this.

Anyway...it's the only time we've ever been questioned about this sort of thing, and we were able to argue our way out of it.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...some would say this is a minor thing, but why bother if it can be avoided! Happy trails.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I am guessing that your last name must be dingdong.

Here is an idea: take a picture, or a 30-second clip, of your travel mate in front of your departure airport, with the airport name in the background. Then show that to any overzealous CBP agent to establish the fact that you had it in the U.S. before leaving.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM

You know I meant show the pic/clip on the little display on the camera.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:56 PM

When we were in Camden (Uk) a while back, my friend asked to take the (huge) amount of leftover udon noodles home. The waitress smiled, nodded, was very accommodating and took the bowl away. After about 5 minutes, we realized she had no idea what we were talking about and had thrown the leftovers away. I was laughing, but my buddy was pissed! No matter how much he complained to the (non english-speaking) manager and waitress, they just didn't understand the concept. We gave up and left.