Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Professional pictures taken in Oahu/Big Island?

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

My husband and 2 sons (21 & 16 yoa) will be going to Hawaii next year.....just interested in knowing if anyone has had professional pictures taken outside at either place (besides wedding pics) and: how did they turn out and how expensive was it? This will probably be a once in a lifetime vacation with both of our boys and I would love to preserve that time with some wonderful pics of us by the beach, waterfall, etc. Just something that would include all of us and we could enjoy for years to come. Any recommendations or personal experiences would be so helpful! Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM

I have been to the Islands 4 times and one thing I can tell you is that taking a photo there is easy. Everything is so beautiful there you really can't go wrong. Many people take their camera's with and you just ask somebody to take a photo of your group and most people are more than happy to do it. Getting a professional photographer to come out to a beach is going to cost you a good sum of money. I have taken close to 1,000 photos total on my trips and trust me it is the easiest thing to do to remember the experience.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:22 PM
GoTravel

Contact the concierge at the hotel where you will be staying. I'm sure they get requests for just this service and can recommend a good photographer.

By contracting a photographer, you will have to take time out of your vacation to do this.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM

I'm thinking probably $200-$500 for a photo shoot or two, and at least another couple hundred for the photos themselves.... For that kind of money you could buy a pretty decent camera! And if you did it today, you'd have plenty of time to learn to use it.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM

A fairly common occurance at beach location - often with families on the beach wearing the same things (khakis or jeans with white shirts look especially nice) - consider late afternoon for nice lighting. Often ads are in the back of local "society" magazines in the coastal south, but I'd follow GoT's suggestion and contact your hotel concierge. Consider planning ahead and take coordinating casual clothes.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Just googled to see some examples. Here's a link to one photographer's website. His portrait packages start at $175 - http://www.charlesrwestphotography.c...20packages.htm