Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you create a memorable record of your trip?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:49 PM
Mary Fran

I took my first trip to Europe just three years ago, to France, followed by a trip the next year to England, but even in that short lapse of time, I found many of the wonderful memories blurring and small details fading.

Determined to keep a better record of my trip to Italy last fall, I bought a lightweight (5 ½ lb) laptop and a digital camera and packed them along, despite fears about the added weight.

I took tons of photos on the digital camera, and at the end of each day in our hotel room, I kicked off my shoes, downloaded the camera to the laptop, copied and pasted selected photos into a journal, and added reminiscences and explanations of the photos in text. It was a gas, and I’ll never travel without my laptop and digital camera again.

Do any of you have any great ideas about how to create a memorable trip record while on the road, with words and pictures?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:45 AM
Ruby

But what a lot of work! It is worth it considering how much that cuts out of your vacation time?
I don't think it would be for me.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:28 AM
isabel

I take tons of digital photos but don't bother with the laptop (use a digital wallet to store them till I get home). Also keep a brief journal during the trip. Then once home I spend weeks or months organizing the photos. It not only stretches out the enjoyment of the trip but then I have the memorable record. I don't think most people will forget the small details that soon. I agree with Ruby that I wouldn't want to spend that much time on the trip in a hotel room looking at photos.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:35 AM
Mike

I love this. Started keeping a record after our trip to London and have added more with other trips in the US.

Lots of pictures, both digital and regular.
Postcards - some just to take home others sent to ourselves back home.
Receipts - yes receipts.
Any other memorbilla...matches, coasters, you name it.

Put it all in a scrapbook along with typed up itinerary notes. The postcards serve as photos better than I could likely take. The receipts are for particularly memorable eateries and bars. Hotel receipt is folded up so the name, room number, check in and check out dates are visible.

I do it not because I will soon forget the trip or to show to friends. I'm hoping that when I'm 70 my wife and I can pull out the book and remember 'the good old days' and feel good about doing things when we were young and able.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:38 AM
zootsi

We take lots of pictures with a regular camera, my wife carries a small notebook and keeps a brief diary. She is also an artist and will sometimes make a simple watercolor or pen and ink sketch of an interesting spot. When we get home, I put all good the photos in their own album, cronologiclly with a brief note under each one, and put any little menus or other paper momentos in the back of the album.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:55 AM
rhonda

I also use the laptop digital routine. (Plus underwater cameras put onto cd's) No time wasted in a hotel "viewing". Simply download them - view them later.

Save on film and process, easy to add to documents later, and email.

I also bring tidbits, a dried flower, journal entries, a shell, postcard, reciepts, other goodies that find me.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:21 AM
curt

We do just as Mike does, except we have not yet made the move to digital. We take lots of photos, buy postcards of each place as "backup", collect any thing that seems to be of interest (coasters, napkins, match books, menus, hotel brochures, etc), keep all the receipts and hotel bills, car rental agreements, everything. Then when we get home we organize everything into scrapbooks (usually takes at least two to hold everythins), label the books, and put in our bookshelf. We have two bookshelves full of scrapbooks and we often just browse through them and recall all the wonderful trips. Like Mike, we don't do this so much to show our friends and family but as a means for us to recall the fact that we have been fortunate to be able to travel and see large parts of the world. Hopefully we will be able to continue doing this for many more years to come.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:15 AM
sandi

Since my husband and I both love to take pictures, he carries the 35mm and I carry a digital camera. When I get his film developed I have the lab put it on a CD so that I can incorporate them in a "virtual Photo album". I use imagestation.com and they give you unlimited server space for FREE and they have the tools to easily assemble you images in an album. It's great.
I also keep a small journal w/ me to jot down details and I write a detailed trip report. I keep the trip report to remind me of the hotels and restaraunts etc..

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:17 AM
sandi

I must mention though, I bought a memory stick that holds 150+ images so I don't have to download till I get home.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:52 AM
Timothy

In addition to taking tons of photos, I save every little scrap of paper that I get. Subway tickets, theater ticket stubs, cafe and hotel receipts, pub coasters, everthing. When I get home I mount them on a piece of poster board and frame them in an 8x10 (or whatever size you want) frame. I have a few of these all hanging on the same wall. Every time I walk by them I am reminded of these great trips.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:54 AM
Barb

I use Mike's methods, scrapping photos, postcards and memorabilia. I find the process to be an enjoyable reminder of the trip, and I find myself researching the sites, artworks, etc., in order to identify and explain. This is time-consuming, but a pleasure, and the captions that I put on the pictures make the photos meaningful for those who choose to look at my book, without my having to wax rhapsodic over every entry or photo. Also, I find once you begin the process of scrapbooking and journaling, you "see" the trip through different eyes. I also now remember to take pictures of things like the departure(either in the airport or on the plane), the hotel both inside and out, and some of the minor sights like neighborhood views, pictures of fruit stands, daytime and nighttime shots, etc. My goal is not just to have photos of the highlights, but to record the smaller details as well. It's fun to take pictures of us with some of the people we meet on the trip, and to recall our conversations, or their suggestions for eating or sightseeing.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:57 AM
mel

I also do much the same as Mike. The jounal and pictures and receipts all go into a scrapbook when I get home, but I also save the bags all my goodies came in. Not the plain plastic ones, but the paper bags with neat designs or logos. I had a few from Brugge with beatiful designs on them and I used them as the background sheet for my pictures.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:57 AM
Barb

I remember to take along a large manilla envelope for collecting the postcards, ticket stubs, brochures, etc. Jot notes about each day's itinerary and put a slip for each day in the envelope.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:36 AM
blue

I also do major paper collecting, receipts, knapkins, hotel bills, pamphlets, ticket stubs, and scrapbook them with photos and postcards after the trip. One of my favorites is to pull the labels off wine bottles and bring them home too so I can try and find them again for special dinners!

I use a business size envelope for each day of the trip and store all paper collected by day so it makes for easy matching up when the scrapbooking process starts! I used to keep 1 envelope of the whole trip and found it to be to hard to straighten out after two weeks abroad, then I went to every three-fouir days per envelop. Now I just do one a day. Much faster! Then I can write pertinant notes on the outside of the envelop too!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:40 AM
Statia

Barb & Blue,

What a great idea! FINALLY a way to organize all that stuff I save, and keep it somewhat organized until I have time to go thru it. Thanks for the tip!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:49 AM
Joe

Every year my wife selects 12 vacation photos and has them made into a calendar at Kinko's. It's my favorite Christmas gift. I still have Dec. 2002 (a bridge in Venice)over my desk at work as well as Janurary 2003 (Lower Slaughter, Cotswolds).

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:55 AM
John

Hi Mary Fran,

When we plan a trip I create a spreadsheet with details of reservations - air/auto/accommdations - also include the 'point(s) of interest for each day/area as we are planning the trip and receiving confirmations. We print the spreadsheet and an individual sheet for each day.

During the trip we use the material to jot down notes and attach receipts and other little 'pick up' items. We may add a hand-written reference of a discovery such as a good restaurant or site that attracted us. We cross reference any film we took. (use a Sony camcorder that has capability to take digital stills)

After the trip the documentation is used to reconcile cc charges; and eventually becomes a 'hard record' of our trip.

My wife adds some life. Typically she downloads stills to her computer and cuts a cd, keeps a library of stills to use as screen savers/wallpaper etc on our PC. We rotate them regularly which gives renewed life to our travel experiences.

She edits the film into mini-clips and creates short pieces. Eventually as DVD burners (equipment prices) get down to reality levels, she plans to cut DVD's.

I realize some may say we are over organized. But I take the tack that we get things done easily without covering ground twice. Our approach gives us a lot of time for adapting to all the surprises that we encounter. And, we are pleasantly reminded of our trips every day by the pictures on our computers.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:22 AM
lynn

1) Take TONS of pics. Even those that seem stupid. We average about 80-100 a day depending on the weather.

2) I take a microcassette and verbally record everything we do. I try to record a bit every time we hit the hotel for a break so I don't forget anything. I transcribe it when I get home and have a wonderfully detailed record of where we were, went, ate, the cost, etc.

The recording is often fun to listen to when something unexpected happens. Once, while in Hong Kong, we had pushed ourselves all day and night with almost no break. It was very exciting. At about 10pm, we finally hit the hotel and were exhausted. I pulled out my tape and started recording what we had done that day. Well, I was so tired, I literally fell asleep while talking! No joke. You can hear my tired voice slowly trailing off into silence! It's hilarious! Then you hear me clicking the recorder off and then back on and laughing. I caught myself falling asleep just a second later but it is so amazing to hear myself fall doze off mid scentence!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:14 AM
dom

I like to bring home a hot little number from each location and she keeps me happy until the next trip.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:27 PM
sandi

lynn, in Paris this past Oct. my husband caught me slipping on the algae covered steps of the Seine. Fortunately only my feet went in and not the rest of me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information