Reload this Page >

Private Ski Lessons: Worth the Big $$$?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Beginner

Has anyone ever taken private ski lessons at any ski resort? Just curious as to whether you learned that much faster or felt you were gouged. How long did it take you to learn to ski? Am considering it, but boy is the price steep! Thx

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Grasshopper

If you're an adult and you've never skiied and you don't want to end up with a group of 6 year olds you might consider it!

That aside, you'll learn more quickly with a private lesson.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 05:16 AM
cg

As a former ski instructor, I would recommend the private lessons if you are nervous about skiing and would like one-on-one attention. You will be up and skiing (and enjoying yourself) on the first day if you are not of way-below-average coordination and physical fitness.

If you are fairly independent and pick up on physical things quickly, you'll probably be fine with a group lesson where the instructor will demonstrate to the group and then work with you as needed. With a private lesson, the instructor will be able to give you more hands-on attention (i.e. holding your ski tips in the proper position as you snowplow, etc.). This will help you enjoy your experience much more if you are scared or it takes you a bit longer to pick up on physical things. If you spring for a private lesson, make sure the ski-school and instructor are PSIA certified, meaning they are a professional.

Skiing is a great sport - I loved teaching because after an hour, most people were up and going the rest of the day and having a great time! Best of luck with your endeavor.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Skier

The nice thing about private lessons is you don't have to stand around and wait while everyone else does a turn etc. Another option might be to take a semi-private lesson. And, to the poster above, I have skied out west for years, taken several group lessons and have never been put in a class with a bunch of kids. They pretty much seperate the adults just learning from the kids.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Virginia

I had private ski lessons my first time and loved it. I had this happen by default and found it was well worth having someone help me down the mountain. It can be a little scarey your first time. I had images of Sonny Bono going threw my head.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Virginia

that was through and I was not joking never mean to cast humor/dispersions on such a horrible tragedy.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 06:24 AM
lisa

I learned to ski recently by taking a 3-hour private lesson at Deer Valley. You are correct that it was very expensive, but I think it was well worth it. First off, I didn't have to wait while others "got" whatever tip the instructor was trying to teach -- you move at your own pace. Second, the only group lessons they had would have included kids -- not 6 year olds (most of whom will be better than you), but kids nonetheless. How embarassing is that?

Most importantly, I was skiing green trails by the end of the day, comfortably skiing *all* green trails by the end of the next day and skiied one or two groomed blues at the end of the week. The group we were with was amazed at my progress.

If you've never strapped on skis (which I hadn't), the first lesson is very hard. First, you have to learn to get them on and off and get up on them. Then, you have to learn to move on flat ground (very difficult). Then, you learn to ski downhill while stopping yourself, turning, etc. It is a lot to learn and much less can be covered in a group setting. I think you'd just end up with more, less expensive, lessons if you took group lessons.

I took another private lesson after a few days of skiing to hone my skills and try to advance to better turning. It was only an hour lesson and I think it was a waste of time. Not too much can be covered in an hour.

My plan for our next (upcoming) ski trip will be to ski one day (to warm up), then take another 2 or 3 hour lesson to advance to a blue trail skiier with better turning.

I hope this helps. I strongly recommend the private lesson.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Owen O'Neill

I think a short semi-private lesson would be a gopod place to start for the first lesson or so especially if it's with other adults only. After that (assuming you have a good instructor) a private lesson really makes a difference. I worked for two seasons as a ski insructor when I was 18 - 19 years old and can vouch for the value of lessons. I hadn't skiied for years but tries snowboarding for the first time last year and kick myself for not taking a lesson! (actually... the kicking was only figurative... My b*tt was too sore to sit on for a week afterwards!)

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 10:08 AM
travellyn

If you sign up for a group lesson at an oddball time, you may get a private one anyway. That happenned to me once last year.

Overall, lessons are a good investment. My husband pays for at least one private lesson a year, then practices what he's learned for a few times before taking another lesson.

If you're just starting, a semi-private lesson will probably do just fine. I don't think there have been more than 4 or 5 other adults in the group when I have taken lessons.

Resorts often have deals for absolute beginners where you get combined equipment rental and group or semi-private lessons at a very low price. I guess that gets you hooked and protects them a little.