Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Princeville Resort or Grand Hyatt Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I'm looking to book the last four nights of my honeymoon on Kauai this August and want to splurge a little. From what I can tell, these are the best two resorts on Kauai. Which one is the better bet? Also, which side of the island is better; north or south? Any opinions?
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM

i've never been, but almost booked a trip to hawaii for our honeymoon in 2004 and would have stayed at princeville.

all i've ever heard is that princeville is like top of the tops in hawaii. i've never heard overwhelming praise and raves for the hyatt.

hope that helps a little bit.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM

The blind leading the blind ! Has anyone actually been to these two resorts???
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Have stayed at both. You can't go wrong with either. Hyatt is on the "dry" side, Princeville on the "wet" side. The most scenic by far is Princeville. IMO the most scenic spot in Hawaii. The grounds of the Hyatt have Princeville beat IMO. Just depends on what you like.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Yes, we have stayed four times at the Grand Hyatt, always in August. It is in sunny Poipu Beach and is a beautiful resort. The rooms have balconies where you can sit out with your morning coffee or drinks at sunset. I don't believe Princeville rooms have them if that is something important to you.

Both sides of the island are great and easy to get to as you explore the different beaches around Kauai. I like the restaurants better in Poipu.

If you were staying 6 days, I would suggest you get the Sunshine on Sale package which includes a free night when you pay for 5, and includes the breakfast buffet everymorning.
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:34 AM

We stayed at Princeville Resort--it is one of the most beautiful hotels, inside and out, we've ever been to. The views are amazing--which was almost bad because I didn't want to leave! Haven't been to the Hyatt but have read great things about it, too. Decisions! Best wishes.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:02 AM
jcb

Congrats on the honeymoon!! I've stayed at both and prefer the Princeville although the grounds at the Hyatt are lovely. Depending on what dates in August, the Hyatt may be over run w/ children - you may or may not care about that.
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:09 AM

(injecting my usual Hyatt vs. Princeville mantra) 8-)

Hyatt is pricey, lovely, with ocean views.

Princeville is pricey, lovely, with ocean views -- PLUS views of Hanalei Bay and the drop-dead gorgeous pali (mountains) and waterfalls.
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM

I agree that the view is unbelievable at the Princeville, but no balconies in the rooms? Why on earth not?

And apparently "sensory experts" have been hired to scent the rooms (of course with a lovely faux Hawaiian scent)! Yikes!

http://www.princeville.com/pvcalendar.html
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM

There are balconies at Princeville--we had one.