Reload this Page >

Princeville, Kauai resort help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 12:51 PM
ready4thebeach

We will be in Kauai in August. Planned to stay at the Hanalei Bay Resort, but have been reading traveler reviews of the condition of the accomodations. Can anyone help me with recent trip information about this property.
p.s. we are going there for a wedding at the Princeville Hotel, but it's is just too pricey.
Thanks!

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hanalei Bay Resort has had some bad raps on here lately and while there may be a few complaints that are justified, for the most part, this is a fine established well run resort. It has been in existance for quite a few years and perhaps some of the rooms are older. The grounds are well kept, the pool is fantastic, the bali hai Restaurant, though prict, has one of the best sunset views on the island. And the happy talk lounge is a great place for a drink and snacks and to unwind. The resort offers shuttle service to just about anywhere in Princeville. In short, don't panic, I think you will be more than happy you chose this place. I have some personal notes on Kauai, drop me a line if you would like me to email them to you.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:25 PM
iceeu2

Check out this website
summitpacific.com
They have a couple of privately owned condos at HBR that you will probably love.
Have fun!!

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:16 PM

My husband and I stayed there for the 2nd week of our honeymoon just about a year and a half ago and we had no major complaints. The pool is absolutely amazing and the restaurant was quite good. Request a table by the railing for the best view. The personnel at the hotel weren't overly friendly but that was ok. We requested a room with a vaulted ceiling (3rd floor) at the suggestion we found in a travel guide. There was no elevator at that time so keep that in mind if you request that. The only really negative aspect of the trip was the hard sell we encountered at the "no pressure" timeshare meeting they will no doubt offer you. You get a $50.00 (I think) coupon for dinner in Bali Hai so we figured "what the heck?" It took longer than they told us it would and when we said "thanks but no thanks" at the end of the presentation they suddenly became a whole lot less pleasant. Consider yourself forewarned. Have fun!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:38 AM

As you indicated a major benefit of staying at HBR is its proximity to the Princeville Hotel. On our second visit to Kauai (Feb 2002) we stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort which is next to the Princeville Resort. We started with a hotel room with an awesome view of the Bali Hai Mountain Range and Hanalei bay. The room was small and had A/C but we had asked for a room with a kitchen, but all we got was a microwave and coffee maker, so we switched to a one bedroom mountain view suite without A/C, but with Ceiling and later floor fans. The mountain view was great and we could see waterfalls from our huge lanai. We really liked the one bedroom suite with full kitchen, double lanai, and washer dryer, which was about twice the size of the hotel room. The jacuzzi was always occupied unlike the pool. In our experience your best value if staying at HBR is to search the internet for the privately owned condo's on line (e.g., keywordsquot;Kauai condos") at HBR rather than staying in a small hotel room. No one mentioned attending a timeshare presentation to us until we started looking for discounts for activities with the concierge. The timeshare we went to was the most painless presentation we have ever attended and we left with smiles on our faces.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 11:50 AM

We recently had a pleasant stay at The Cliffs near the Princeville Hotel. You might check out their rates.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Topping for Happybluesky
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 04:29 PM

We stayed at the Hanalei Bay Villas, which are within a 10 minute walk to the Princeville Hotel. In fact, we spent one entire day on their beach, got our drinks at the pool bar and had dinner there later that evening. The Hanalei Bay Villas are individually owned two story houses. Ours was exactly what we were looking for, and the price was right too. Here is the website: www.kauaivilla.com