Prices on Macadamia Nuts?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:08 AM
May

Prices on Macadamia Nuts?

Hi Hawaii lovers,

I will be going to Oahu and Maui in May and my family is a huge fan of Macadamia nuts.

However, they are so expensive to buy here in Mainland. Since they're grown in HI, I was wondering if there is a major price difference? Are they much cheaper? How many can we bring back to the Mainland?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:25 AM
LovesHawaii

On the Big Island, we found the best -priced priced macadamia nuts and butter at farmers marketes in Kona and Hilo. Macadamia nut chocolates were a lot cheaper at a Walmart in Kona than at the candy {Mauna Loa} factory, though perhaps not as fresh. If you do happen to get out to the Mauna Loa factory on the Big Island, their macadamia nut ice cream is fabulous! Not sure there's a limit on macadamia nuts; just be careful not to weigh the plane down!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:34 AM
bj

There still not cheap there. We found the best deals at Longs drug stores. Watch the local papers for advertised specials. We also picked up a bunch of local jams for .99 each at Longs.
Surprisingly, the ABC stores in Waikiki had $1 off coupons for Macadamia nuts while we were there and we snacked for several days. YUM!!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:41 AM
Jim

The Hula bowl in Honalulu has a huge weekend flea market with hundreds of vendors including packaged nuts (and other soveniers). Prices are very reasonable.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:39 PM
carla

Dad jsut returned with a case - paid $4.55 more then he would have, had be bought them at COSCO!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:33 PM
lcuy

Are you thinking of plain mac nuts or chocolate covered? Wal mart in mililani (on the way to north shore) has the best regular priced chocolate ones, and Longs has the best sale prices. look for extra savings in their sunday ad. If you want plain roasted nuts, they are now sold in one pound bags for $7 or 8 dollars.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:03 AM
x

Oh boy! Let's go to Hawaii so we can go to Wal Mart!!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:56 AM
George

This is such a funny post. I can't wait to go back to Hawaii either May. But can't you find a more interesting topic? Remember land is expensive in Hawaii so I can't imagine you will see a significant drop. Yes Walmart there is a Cosco on Big Island, Oahu and you will see reductions on most items. Daie if you are tired of these, it is Japanese an fun experience IMHO.

I guess I am always looking where to buy the cheapest leis on Kauai. Most people know about chinatown on Oahu but where else?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:20 AM
May

Hi all, thanks for all the great comments and advice. Keep them coming, it's certainly appreciated.

Yes, I'm asking about the plain roasted Macadamia Nuts, not the chocolate covered ones. Since they're grown in HI, I "assume" that they might be cheaper to buy over there. Anyone know exactly how much of a difference?

George: I think this is a pretty relevant topic for a first time traveler to HI. I just wanted to know what I'm looking forward to. But I guess you think "looking to buy the cheapest leis" would be more of an interesting topic then huh?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:35 AM
George

It was a joke May lighten up and get a selfp esteem

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:37 AM
Mary

May he did answer your question I agree don't be so thin skinned. I had some input myself but I don't want to get slammed either.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:23 PM
May

It has nothing to do with self esteem or being thin skinned. You either have an input to the question, or you don't. That's all. I was making a very legit question. I do, however, appreciate all the informative comments.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:17 PM
bbb

I love macs

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:29 AM
May

Same here! =)