Margaritas and Bloody Marys in Key West

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:41 PM
Lisa

Margaritas and Bloody Marys in Key West

Now that I've compiled a great list of restaurants thanks to you all (and I now know where the good snorkel shops are), I'm interested in the best Margaritas and Bloody Marys. My hubby and I are going in, hmm 20 days to be exact and fully plan on eating our way through Key West and thought it would only be fitting to sample the drinks as well. Purely to post good reviews of course! Good and Bad appreciated! Thanks- Lisa

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:14 PM
susan

In my opinion, the Bloody Marys at the Pier House are absolutely the best!! We haven't eaten at their new dinner restaurant (checked the prices and menu and weren't impressed), but their restaurant on the water for breakfast and lunch is good. And boy, those Bloody Marys...I wish I had one now!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:20 PM
cd

Susan
What do you think makes those Bloody Mary's so good? The ingrediants? or the enviroment? I love Bloody Mary's, would like to have a few pointers.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:53 PM
Lisa

Susan-
I can't wait to try them, we'll definately check them out. I can't wait to go. CD - It is usually a combination of a good ingredients and atmosphere!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:02 PM
susan

cd - Both!!! Of course, you know what'll happen now. You'll go to the Pier House expecting great Bloody Marys and you'll be disappointed :/

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:08 PM
cd

Yea, I think it's both too plus attitude. "The greatest part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions, and not our circumstances" - Martha Washington

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:14 PM
eman

Check out Fat Tuesdays for frozen drinks. They have vats of @50 different frozen concoctions. They on't taste bad either

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
Owen O'Neill

I haven't had a drop of the magic elixir in years but do recall seeing many people in this forum rave about the margarita at Mangoes restaurant. if I recall correctly, they're on a busy corner of Duval Street and have an open air bar next to the courtyard dining - great spot to people watch. Many years ago in a previous life I did have a very tasty Bloody Mary at sunset on the rooftop bar of La Concha Hotel (highest point in Key West and recall it being wonderful but I think the ambiance and setting was a major factor. Fresh lime, a generous does of fresh horseradish and a tiny dash of bitters (along with the celery salt and Worcestershire) are crucial. I think most places leave out the bitters and fail to use enough horseradish. the Tabasco is fine but it's not enough.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:21 PM
carrie

Stay away from the pre-made stuff that comes out of the machines. They are nothing but filler.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Margaritaville

I'll throw in my two cents worth. I actually like the margaritas at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Ask for them on the rocks and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck. Also Kelly McGillis's restaurant has a cool bar. From like 5-7, they have a happy hour that's 1/2 price margaritas. They were awesome when the lady bartender made them. Why is it that men make weaker drinks??

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Robert

I think the best margarita's are made by the bartender (TK) at Mangoes at the corner of Duval St & Angela. He is the favorite of the Key West message board. He is tall and has a pony tail... normally works the evening shift , but is off on friday's. Just tell him, you heard about his margarita's from the message board....he now has a reputation to keep up.....lol

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Lisa

Being a huge parrothead, a Margarita is a must at Margaritaville (along with a cheeseburger in paradise). Owen- I have incorporated much of your advice (or experiences?) into our trip agenda so far. Your postings have been a great help in planning this trip. I don't know if I've ever had true bitters in a Bloody Mary before but you can bet I'll ask from now on. The horseradish definately gives it a kick without completely obliterating the taste with hotness! I have also read good things about Mangoes for 'ritas.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:52 AM
lovethekeys

Yes, usually those pre-mixed vats of frozen drinks are bad but I have to admit - Fat Tuesday's in the Keys was pretty good! I loved the frozen Lemonade. (forgot the actual name) Wish I had one now. You can also get an "extra" shot of rum for $1. Best buck you'll ever spend!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Lisa

Robert-
It is now my personal mission to find that bartender and put him on the spot.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:53 AM
keys

Mangoes has the best drinks.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:56 AM
grglnswsh

T.K. at Mangoes makes the best drinks including a margarita and The Tree Bar by Ricks also makes a good drink. They dont pour a cheap "well" and they use fresh squeezed juice. Their Sea Breeze is hard to beat.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Lisa

What about the food at Mangoes? I know I've read something but can't remember exactly what. . .

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:59 AM
lovethekeys

Yes, the food is great at Mangoes!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Lisa

grglnswsh- I'll take your suggestions with me for sure (along with your list of restaurants that I have stashed with my plane tickets! Thanks a ton.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:01 AM
grglnswsh

Very good food and great late night pizzas.
http://www.mangoeskeywest.com/main.htm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO