Reload this Page >

Priceline snafu, South Beach Royal Palm Crowne Plaza

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:05 AM
nina

I've been trying to bid on a resort in South Beach and got sloppy, on my last attempt I clicked on 4 star instead of resort, of course my bid was accepted but I ended up with the Royal Palm Crowne Plaza instead of the Loews or National which I was anticipating. I messed up. Oh well. What I'm wondering is if anyone has stayed there and can shed some light on that hotel?

Apparently it is just redone, so the website doesn't even have many photos, only artists renderings. I think it's in a decent spot, right next to the Loews, but can't find any other info. Has anyone been there? Thanks.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Anthony

Checkout the reviews section of www.biddingfortravel.com for recent reviews of this hotel. Don't know why you call this a snafu, considering you got a brand new hotel(newest hotel now open in south beach) in south beach in a great location with beachfront and a pool.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:18 AM
nina

Thanks Andrew. I'm calling it a snafu because I really wanted a resort, not a 4 star, and so I'm stuck with it. I would have gladly bid another $50 for the resort, but Priceline wouldn't let me. I admit it was my fault, I just had my heart set on the Loews or National. I think that Crowne Plaza is part of Holiday Inn, so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of quality for this hotel.

I did read a review at Biddingfortravel, as that's where I got the info about what hotels are available as resorts.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:21 AM
J

If it makes you feel any better....I've stayed at the Loews and wasn't terribly impressed. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time at the Royal Palm---location sounds good, and that's what it's about in South Beach unless you're staying at the Delano, Tides, etc.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:26 AM
cindy

Nina, I think you got a great deal because
1) biddingfortravel just lists what people have reported getting for specific bids, not what pricline has available. The biddingfortravel site makes it very clear that you could easily get a hotel other than the ones that have been listed. If you really only want a specific hotel ,then you shouldn't be using priceline--many people are disappointed or feel cheated when they don't get the hotel they expected.

2) "Resort" is a separate category based on the amenities a hotel offers, not the quality level. Again, there are many people who are diappointed when they get lower quality hotels (3 star-ish) that happened to be rated as a resort because they have a spa or whatever, but the rooms and other facilities are of a lower quality level. I don't think you can go wrong with a 4 star. Enjoy the savings, and pay for/use the spa or whatever facilities you want somewhere else

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:32 AM
nina

Thanks. Glad to hear it's a good location. The reservationist was very accomodating, when I called to request a king bed he promised an oceanfront balcony room, so if that's any indication of the service, it will probably be a great place. It's not even listed in Fodor's or other travel books yet - too new, I was just looking for some feedback from anyone who's been.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:50 AM
thereuare

Stayed here at the beginning of November for one nite.

Good location, staff friendly, hotel very clean. Rooms nothing special, but typical of what i expect to get in a big city (ie-not a lot of space, but not a closet either).

Wasn't there long enough to use any of the faciities, but i checked out their pool and hottub area which was "average", and i expected more considering they charge a mandatory $10 resort fee whether u use the facilities or not (you'll be paying this as well, even with your pre-paid Priceline purchase). Since i was paying the resort fee, although i wasn't using any of the facilities, i asked to see the gym area and was told they didn't have one but they'd give you a voucher to use the gym up the road (just more evidence that this is a full service hotel and NOT a resort).

Overall a nice hotel and i'd have no problem staying there again, but i just don't like the nickel/dime mentality of the "resort fee" when this is actually "just another hotel".

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Pam

Not familiar with this property but have stayed in many Crowne Plazas and haven't been disappointed. Crowne Plaza is the higher end of Holiday Inn divison. Most Holiday Inn's are probably 3 starish and Crowne Plazas are probably 4 starish. Enjoy

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:58 AM
nina

Thanks for the replies. Thereyouare, how was the beach? Did the hotel supply cabanas or beach chairs? Since the pool sounds less than spectacular, we'll probably just stay on the beach.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:22 AM
DeeDee

All the hotels in that area provide beach chairs. Some use a service but most have their own. Big wide sandy beach.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:35 PM
thereuare

Sorry, didn't arrive until after 6pm and had left the hotel at about 10:30am the following morning for a flight.

However, be forewarned that the trip from the airport to this hotel is a flat fare, and the driver is NOT allowed to add the cost of the one toll along the way to the fixed fare (ours tried to rip off us off).