Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Priceline/NYC Hotels - What's your experience?

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 02:02 PM
arjay

We've had great luck with Priceline, mostly in the Chicago area (once landing the downtown Hilton for $25, and this past Christmas, the Doubletree just off Michigan Avenue for $45). We're Manhattan-bound in mid-April, and I'm hoping we might have similar success there. But I'd like to know what others have found - for instance, the quality of the hotels and roughly what price to bid for the best chance of success? Thanks!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 02:24 PM
carole

If you go to www.biddingfortravel.com you'll find a wealth of information as to which hotels/what bids people are currently getting on Priceline. I used the site for bidding for a hotel in the Boston area and found it really helpful. Recently, most people have reported here they've gotten really good deals (for NYC) in very good hotels through Priceline.

Good luck!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 03:11 PM
jen

FYI-Don't stay at the Gorham Hotel in NYC. I went there last March w/friends and our plane didn't come in until 11:30, so were not going to be checking into the hotel until after midnight...the hotel gave away our room!! We called them the day before we left and they said that would be fine. THis not only happened to us, but also to 2 other people! They were booked for the night, so we squeezed 5 people in a 2 bedroom room. WE were VERY upset. The other guests also called--apparently that does nothing.

Check out your hotels and ask around through this forum or through friends.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Marj

I've had good luck. Bid $100, for 4*, Midtown South. Ended up with a suite at Avalon hotel. It was for some visiting family members (I live in nyc). They could say enough about the room. A bedroom with 2 Queens and a living room area with a pull out sofa. Also an ample continental breakfast, with good coffee was included. 3 of them stayed in the room.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Celeste

Several people (including me) have gotten the 4 star Millennium Broadway for $90 or less through the next few months. By all means read through the advice at Bidding for Travel - they mapped out my whole "strategy" for me.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 03:13 PM
arjay

Thanks - I'm off to check out Biddingfortravel.com

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:03 AM
anniel

I am intending to bid on priceline for our trip to New York. We will be there for one week from September 20th.

We have some questions for you experienced Fodorites:

we neeed 2 rooms and want to be near the shops and major sights. I was thinking of bidding for either Midtown East or Midtown West. I would like to hear which is best for tourists.

The other question is when to make the bid...has anyone experience of booking very early and getting a very good price..or doesn't it make a difference?

I would really welcome some advice.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Jess

I'm not a tourist, but I would say the Midtown East is better, as you are closer to the 5th/Madison Ave shopping & sights(St Pats, the museums, etc). The area is so small that it doesn't really matter, though I would shoot for a hotel between 9th Ave (Westside) and Lexington(Eastside). Farther than than and you really have to walk to reach the subway.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:18 AM
anniel

Jess, thanks for your kindness in replying..I will take your advice as I had been reading about midtown east and it seems to offer close proximity to all we want to do...now to decide when to bid on Priceline....

Cheers Anniel