Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Priceline Hotel question (Ft. Lauderdale)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Biddingfortravel and tried to pigeon hole getting the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel for a one night pre-cruise January 9th on Priceline. I was able to add a couple of free zones, keeping my bid at 4 star only and my final price was $116. Still rejected. I read how Priceline comes back offering you a price such as If you add $xx you can get the hotel. They made no such offer to me, so this is not an automatic thing?? Can I start all over again using my husband's credit card? Thank you.

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:36 AM

No it's not automatic to get a counter offer. I think you can start again using a different credit card but you might also need a different email address. Check on biddingfortravel or betterbidding.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Yes, you can start all over, pretending to be your husband.

Just remember that BFT's lists are partial and voluntary, and that PL can add a new hotel in any zone/star level at any time, so you can never count on a win being the hotel you expect.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:38 AM

No, it's not an automatic thing that they counterbid. And when they do, it's not a good deal to take it.

Yes, if you have another email address and your husband's credit card you should be able to start all over again. But keep in mind that you have more than 6 months till your stay, and you can keep bidding under the same credit card and account every 72 hours. Since your trip is so far away, there's no rush to keep bidding immediately. And don't be hurried to bid too high too soon this far in advance either.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Maybe I'm doing this all too early and should wait until closer to get a good deal on Priceline. ??
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM

It doesn't hurt to try early, as long as you can live with losing the money should you have to cancel for any reason. Sometimes the best priceline deals are available early, and sometimes they're closer to the date. If you can find a fully cancellable reservation somewhere that you would be OK with, book that and just keep trying priceline every few days until your trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM
JJ5

Great advice and I was just there in Feb. this year. My kids stayed at the Hyatt and I was at the Renaissance.

Winter is high season and I ended up getting that Renaissance on Priceline for $105 a night (for 3 nights before a cruise).

It's only one block from the Marriott and the water taxi, and you literally can see the ships from the rooms. It has a transfer/shuttle available as well. Just FYI. Hyatt is very nice too.

I bid 4 star and won the bid in about the middle of October for a Feb.13 date. FYI- this time frame did work, eventually.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

JJ5, The Renaisance looks like a beautiful hotel as well. The reason it isn't necessarily one of my top choices is because I found out the windows do not open. I really prefer a balcony or operable windows for ventillation. I'd actually prefer to get the Marriott Marina or the Embassy Suites because they both have mini balconies.

I'll try again on priceline in a few days.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 10:22 AM
GoTravel

Keep in mind South Florida hotels are experiencing record occupancy levels and pre bookings. Priceline offerings are getting fewer and fewer.

Book a cancellable backup and don't plan on the Hyatt. New hotels are opening all the time in Ft. Lauderdale.