Be careful when making a Priceline bid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I bid and won a hotel stay for an upcoming trip. Yesterday, I received my credit card statement and in addition to the Priceline charges (it was correct) there was a charge for something called Reservation Reward for $7.

I called the number listed with the charge on the credit card statement becuase I had not idea what the charge was for.

The person at Reservation Reward said it was something with my Priceline bid. Obviously, I did/didn't check some box during my bid. She was kind enough to remove the charge (will double check in a couple of days) so I'll be fine. And $7 wouldn't have been bad a price to pay for not reading everything on the Priceline screen.

Just wanted to give a headsup to make sure you read all those statements with Priceline
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Use a one-time use credit number if you can. That way, you don't have to deal with these charges that they try to sneak under you. This applies to all companies on the web.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 07:01 PM

I'm not sure I understand this. They charged YOU for a reward? If it's a reward, shouldn't you be given the $7? I've never heard of this in connection with Priceline. I can't figure out which box you checked or didn't check that resulted in an additional charge. I've never experienced any additonal charge on PL that wasn't on the reservation summary that you print out after your transaction is completed.

Stevecat, what's a one-time use credit card? Haven't a clue about what this is either.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:51 AM

Besty, numerous credit companies offer one-time use credit card numbers. This usually involves going to their website, logging on, and retrieving a new number from their system. The number they issue is only valid for one charge then it becomes defunct. If you ever need the merchant to credit back the amount, that can be done however, without any problem. It's the best thing since sliced bread really, since you no longer have to worry about credit card fraud issues online, nor sneaky merchants trying to pull one over you, like what happened to ncgrrl. I know amex offers this function, as do certain mastercard issuers like citibank (NO fees for it either).
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

The company's name is Reservation Reward. I didn't receive a reward. It is some travel service firm in CT (according to my credit card bill). The credit card statement included the state abbreviation and a telephone number.

Thanks Stevecat for the info on one-time use numbers. I'll look into that for future purchases.

I don't remember anything about the Reservation Rewards company when doing my Priceline bid and the $7 didn't appear as part of the final price. I don't think I received an email from them about it either, HOWEVER, Priceline bids go to a hotmail account that gets way too much spam and I delete most items I don't recognize. So the Reservation Rewards company may have sent something that I deleted without reading.

My advice for everyone is read all parts of the Priceline bid and check your credit card statements every month.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:06 AM
OliveOyl

ncgirl, It'd be a good idea to post this information in BFT so others can be on the lookout. Then too, someone there might know how/when this latched onto your bid and hopefully other bidders can avoid it. Not sure where it would best be posted, Member Announcements or Bidding Glitches and Problems? Member Announcements seems to have more activity than the other.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:29 AM

All I can think of is Priceline is now selling travel insurance on all bids. I bid $32 for a room and was offered the insurance for $5. The rate is proportional to your bid so $7 sounds reasonable. There is a check box to pick whether or not you want it. I though it was blank by default but I could be wrong. It sounds like that's what ncgrrl was charged for but the merchant name "Reservation Reward" is deceptive.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

A follow up on this.

There was a cancellation notice from the Reservation Rewards company in my hotmail account. With a confirmation number.

It is obvious I made an error in the Priceline process by clicking/not clicking a box for the service. But I don't remember seeing it when I made my bid. Maybe early senility, maybe I need bifocals.

Glad to know it was a fixable goof on my part and I didn't end up in big trouble.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I use PL frequently and this is indeed the new offer they have for travel insurance. You have to check the box which offers the insurance however, it is blank by default. I'd say that the post should be titled "I need to be careful when bidding on PL"

Good for us all to know!